Stick/Finger Train

Tootsthebird

Aug 2, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conoure
Good morning all~ I am so excited to have found this page. My husband and I are new parents to a 1 year old GCC Toots. This feathered member is filled with love and wants to be around us 24/7. When we went to the pet store for filters for the fish tank ( yep, not a bird) I went over to where the bird was and started talking to him. He came down the ladder and started to roll onto his back. I started to cry with excitement. I called my husband over and of course toots did nothing. Like i made it all up. He started to walk away and BAM! he started again and my husband turned around and saw and said, pick out a cage, he is coming home tonight. He has been with us for just about 3 weeks now and has been adjusting VERY well. Has an amazing routine with bedtime and gets a lot of playtime. My husband does not want to take him out until we can get him stick/finger trained. We try daily for 30 minutes at a time, every hour. We use the same phrase and the same finger. Is there something else we can try? Toots eagerly wants to come out and play and we also want to get him out.

Attachments

• toots.jpg
    toots.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 12

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome and congrats on your new baby! He is so adorable and sounds like a little clown with all that rolling around 🤣 How cute that he showed off for you like that!

I believe you are referring to target and step up training? I would start with just step up and move on to target afterward. Usually it's pretty easy for them to learn that one once they trust you and are settled in. I would start by opening the cage door, hold out a long piece of millet to him and see if he will approach you to take it. Gradually you can offer a shorter piece of millet and hold your other hand in front of it so he has to step up to eat it. When he does step up say "step up, good bird!" and repeat that for a while until he starts doing it comfortably. Just take it slow and go at his pace. Let him come to you at first.

OP
T

Tootsthebird

Aug 2, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conoure
Welcome and congrats on your new baby! He is so adorable and sounds like a little clown with all that rolling around 🤣 How cute that he showed off for you like that!

I believe you are referring to target and step up training? I would start with just step up and move on to target afterward. Usually it's pretty easy for them to learn that one once they trust you and are settled in. I would start by opening the cage door, hold out a long piece of millet to him and see if he will approach you to take it. Gradually you can offer a shorter piece of millet and hold your other hand in front of it so he has to step up to eat it. When he does step up say "step up, good bird!" and repeat that for a while until he starts doing it comfortably. Just take it slow and go at his pace. Let him come to you at first.
Thank You so much. This is kind of what we are already doing. He is taking food from us and we are playing "Ball" with the door open. just need to gain that trust level. I feel that it is coming soon.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh I missed the part where you said:

We try daily for 30 minutes at a time, every hour.

I suggest lowering that to 15 mins and no more than three times a day. Birds can start getting bored or frustrated after the 15-20 min mark and then you may end up doing more harm than good by pressing. I do admire your dedication and hope your new baby settles in ASAP!

Most Reactions

Latest posts