Biting issue...

BobbyBird

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Bobby
Sometimes when I need Bobby to step-up, he just Bites my finger extremely hard and doesn’t step-up. Why does he do this?

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Sometimes when I need Bobby to step-up, he just Bites my finger extremely hard and doesn’t step-up. Why does he do this?
Sounds like he doesn't want to step up.

Does he bite gently first? If you ignore the polite "no thank you," he has to get more assertive.

Are you taking him somewhere he doesn't want to go? If he knows that, he might refuse.

How long have you had him? Have you built up trust with him so that he wants to step up/be with you?

Have you done any training with him where stepping up = reward?

Have you tried alternatives to getting him where you want him? If Bumble won't step up I just leave the room - she never wants to be away from me so she flies over and lands on me before I can make it out. She does frequently land on my head and sometimes doesn't want to come down LOL but at least she's closer.

OP
BobbyBird

BobbyBird

Feb 9, 2024
Parrots
Bobby
I have had him for 3 years now. maybe ill do some training to stop him from doing that too..

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Sometimes a bird just doesn’t want to step up! With my Quaker parrot, I have learned to pay careful attention to his eyes and his body language to see if he’s in a biting mood. If I have to move him when looks ready to bite, I wrap a towel around my arm ( he steps up onto my arm, rather than my hand) so that he doesn’t hurt me. You could also try teaching him to step
onto a stick or perch so that he doesn’t bite your hand.

Most Reactions