Biting utoo sparatically

cesarmacpalace

Jan 20, 2015
Canton, Ohio
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
Red Lored Amazon
Umbrella Cockatoo
I adopted a utoo about 3 months ago.... he will not step up (I have no clue how too train him too do it Without being bitten). he typically is not really cage aggressive, I can put my hand in the cage too feed and water him, and even too rub his head, he will even allow me too rub his beak and his head through the bars when the cage is closed.... I also recently (Withing the last 3 weeks) adopted a Blue Front Amazon, which he was next too my utoo at the rescue, and a red lored amazon.... he dosent bother with the red lored, but has bonded quite well with the blue front.... if I try petting the blue front, he (The Amazon) will make noises and of course cesar will nip at me, thinking im hurting the other Bird... if I walk over too the red lords t stand, sometimes, not all the time, me makes noises when he steps up, and cesar will come off the cage and bite at my feet..... I understand that toos are a very very affectionate type of bird, and likes being at the center of attention, require lots of one on one time with you, but where he gets me is the fact he will not step up, and he has been biting me a lot (Twice Very badly) When I try too put him back in the cage... I have tried the straight streem of water, (Yes from a brand new Bottle That's Never had Anything in it other than water.) and sometimes he backs off, but most of the time he does not. when he bites at my feet, or nibbles in general, I have been told too just lightly smack him on his beack, and im sorry, but I do not agree with doing that, I think that breaks Whatever Trust you've Earned From him too that point. not Only That, But It makes me feel terrible, Any suggestions On How too work with him on Either stepping Up Or Curing his biting problem?? As ive Said its normally only when its time for the cage, he is such a good bird when hes with me, cuddling me, lets me pet him anytime I want, and honestly have absolutely no other complaints whatsoever.... Only Thing that I have in mind, is trying a long dowell rod too help him into the cage, Hopefully After breeding Season, he changes Quite a bit, and believe it or not, he isint really a loud bird Either....

:green1:Jammer, (Red Lored Amazon)
:green:Baby, (Blue Front amazon)
:yellow2: Cesar, (U Cockatoo) THANK YOU For Any Advice As I Love my babies Very Very Much

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
This essay is a good read and might help you a little: How to Stop Parrots from Biting: The Sharp Beak

My immediate thought is to suggest you start reading up on target training, which can be a great help in making progress with a new bird. If you're worried about being bitten you can train him to step up onto a stick or a T perch instead of your hand or arm - target training will help you with step up whether it's to a hand or a perch.

OP
cesarmacpalace

cesarmacpalace

Jan 20, 2015
Canton, Ohio
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
Red Lored Amazon
Umbrella Cockatoo
I have a Long Dowel Rod Im Going Too Try And use, Its Was Also Suggested That I Leave him in Time Out For a Few Evenings, Also Too Only Leave Him Out By Himself, Not Too Leave The Other 2 Out Together With Him.... I Definetly Will Try Too Do Some Reading As you Suggested He Really Is a Very Worth While Baby Boy As they All Are, But I Think Theres Several Areas Where he Does Show Lots Of Potential For Sure....

:green1::green::white1:

OP
cesarmacpalace

cesarmacpalace

Jan 20, 2015
Canton, Ohio
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
Red Lored Amazon
Umbrella Cockatoo
Happy Too Say, After his Timeout In His Cage, He came out, And was Great, With The Advice of a Dear Friend, and fellow Bird Lover, I Gave him his time, and left the other birds in Their Cages, He Was Very Good Last evening, got him too step up a few times using his favorite Treat, an almond, and used the dowell rod too get him back into his cage when it was time, He played With the Rod First a Bit, But eventually Grabbed Hole of it, allowing me too put him back into his cage without any new injuries.... He Still Needs Work, But Time is On Our Side
:green2::green1::white1:

Most Reactions