Bitty Progress!

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I might have mentioned that when I got home from vacation, Bitty proved she loves me. After giving her head scratches for a good solid 30 minutes, I decided it was time for a well-deserved sit on the couch.

Bitty decided this was simply unacceptable. She started hanging off of her cage and begging. Eventually, she just flew across the room and clumsily plopped herself in my lap. She is not a good flyer. Her left side flight feathers were damaged before I got her, and haven't quite grown back in properly. She latched onto my shorts, flapping crazily, but eventually got her balance and calmed down. My brother and I laughed and laughed. I guess she missed me badly, no? Well, she got what she wanted...a bunch more loving, all the while telling me what a "good girl" she was.

Anyway, on to the progress. She had previously learned to step up onto my hand whenever she fell on the floor (clumsy girl). However, once there, she wouldn't let go for anything unless I was putting her back on her cage. Total death grip. She's just afraid of falling I think.

Well, I started trying to put her on the back of a wooden chair. She resisted at first, but within a few attempts, she seemed to catch on that it was a strong, stable perch. However, like when she is on her cage, she didn't want to get back on my hand. Multiple attempts to pick her up resulted in more flapping and more death grip. Eventually, she did step up, and I praised her, gave her a quick head scratch, and let her back on her cage.

This must have made somewhat of an impression on her. The next time she plopped to the floor when I left the room (she does this a lot...silly girl), I picked her up and sat down with her, determined to make something of the opportunity. Within minutes, I had her "tread milling" from one hand to the other, though there was still quite a bit of nervous flapping. I stopped often to praise her, give her head scratches, and play with her.

When I did put her back on her cage, she still wouldn't step back up, but I expected that. I'm hopeful that will change soon too! She's definitely learning. :)

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
How nice that she is, indeed, learning, and with time, will likely become more relaxed about things.

I am a human with "balance issues*" and I know how terrifying it can be to be unsure of the stability of something, so don't blame her at all for her "death grip" at times, in my gut. Thank you for being patient with her, we klutzes of the world need love, too!

(I had brain surgery, and as a result am completely deaf on one side, and as the hearing nerve also controls balance, I have half the sense of balance as most people.)

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
She is clipped? Merlin was clumsy when he was clipped. That was one reason I decided not to clip him. He fell alot & I was afraid he would really hurt himself by falling. Bitty must have really missed her mommy when you were gone, I would say she's fallen in love.

OP
nofearengineer

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I have never clipped her, and I likely never will.

When I got her in November, she had no flight feathers on her left side, but was fine on the right. I suspect she may have damaged them falling, as her tail was pretty ratty too.

She has had a few growing back in recently, but I am not sure if they are coming back that well. Her tail has grown back completely, and the ones on the right are perfect as well. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with her lefts. I would have thought she would have grown them back by now, but only time will tell.

I'll love her just the same, and yes...it seems she's a bit fond of me as well.

Last edited:

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
Awwww, Nofear I love reading your progress stories on Bitty! I remember when you first brought her home, she just sat in her cage making the occassional peep, now look at you guys! Thanks for sharing, it made my heart smile :)

Most Reactions