Bixby. He Had The Heart Of A Lion.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Anansi, I just came across this thread today. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Reading about Bixby's battle brought me to tears and I know exactly what you went through. My Taylor, a Black Capped Conure, lost her battle with PDD on March 14th. She was just 2 weeks shy of her 2nd birthday.

She fought so hard, just like your Bixby. And when she collapsed in my hands from a seizure, I also told her that it was okay for her go, that I understood and wanted her to be free.

I realize a few months have past since you started this thread so I hope my writing to you today isn't too upsetting. But, I just wanted you send you my sincerest condolences and I hope you and your family are doing okay.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Thank you so much for your condolences and for sharing Taylor's story.

Despite the months that have passed, I still miss Bixby every day. But you need not worry about having reopened old wounds. I don't shy away from those memories. I embrace them. My every memory of him is a celebration of who he was and all he meant to me and my family in the relatively short time he was with us. You know what I mean?

Something tells me that you do.

Taylor sounds like she was a special bird, and I am so very sorry for your loss as well.

It's comforting to think that, even as I type this, they are both flying free... free of the disease with which they were born, that made their time here so short.

Thanks again for reaching out, even as you are coping with your own grief for Taylor.

deque

Aug 7, 2014
Miami, Florida
Parrots
Bala- B&G, Capri- Greenwing, Cata- Catalina, Ruby- Military, Abbey- B&G
I can't tell you how deeply sorry I am to hear of your families loss. Bixby was so lucky to have had you.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Thank you so much for that. In many ways, though, I was really the lucky one. In less than 2 years he had such a profound effect on me and my family.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots

Yes, Anansi, I know exactly what you mean. As you said in your most recent post, Taylor had a profound effect on me and my family, me most of all. I still cry a little for her every day. She has left a very big, empty space in my heart.

I will now think Taylor and Bixby flying free together, eating their favorite foods (Taylor's were strawberries and pine nuts), sharing stories of their lives with their humans, how crazy we were and how much we loved them. I honestly believe that both Taylor and Bixby knew how much they were loved.

Grief is a long process, but it is good to be able to share our story with other here on the forum. I'm so glad I found your post today (a big thanks to Wendy for directing me to it).

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Taylor, Bixby, my Adrion, and countless others are flying free now over the rainbow bridge... My eyes are tearing up, and it was 10 years ago when I had the devastating encounter with the Bornavirus. It took me a year or so to stop crying at random times. What's scary is if we have other birds too... Robin was around then, but was tested a couple times at different times and thankfully is fine.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
OK, you are BOTH REQUIRED TO STOP WITH TEAR LIQAGE SHARING(tearing) AND STORIES. Super Hugs to you both. And Venus bit my nose when I tried to snuggle with her when I teared up with your post. She's a super Diva.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots

Oh gosh, Julie, I'm so glad that Robin is okay. You must have been so nervous for a long time!

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
In tears reading your story..sending you lots of love and feathered hugs

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Thank you so much!

KimmyDavi

Jun 10, 2015
Media
Ohio
Parrots
RIO
Congo African Grey

Smokey
Congo African Grey
RIP (1/1/15-6/5/15)
I am so sorry for your loss! Your post was a beautiful tribute! Tears and Hugs :(

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Thank you , KimmyDavi. The hugs are very much appreciated. I felt like that tribute was the last gift that I could give to him, so I really wanted to make sure everyone understood just how much he meant to me.

Most Reactions