Black spot on a new feather

LouieTheBird

Jul 20, 2017
NC
Parrots
Green checked conure named Louie
So I noticed a black spot on my yellow sided green checked conure but I believe this came from when we went on vacation and we took him to my grandmother's house so I think that is when it came in and he is about 5 mounts old and he does have pin feathers.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Do you mean on us feathers?
A picture would greatly help.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I can't actually see the black spot unless you mean the darker feather near his neck? I see absolutely nothing wrong with him although I see those 2 little pin feathers appearing! He may need some help with them ones.

He's a beautiful bird and looks so cute too! Doing the alert extended neck! :D

OP
LouieTheBird

LouieTheBird

Jul 20, 2017
NC
Parrots
Well he is my first parrot and I worry more than I should but thank you for responding

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
LordTriggs is right; if you mean the black feather that's just well, it's kinda cool. It's normal.

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
I found that old feathers can get a little black if the bird was not been given enough bathes or was handled a lot. My Sprinkles came to me from the shop with some black on the feathers. He since had a molt and got new feathers. Now that I give him regular bathes and I make sure when I handle him I do not have any lotion or anything on my hands. His fresh feathers have not gotten that black.

make sure to help your bird stay as clean as he needs. It will help keep the feathers looking great longer.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Probably just an oddball feather. Lincoln has a little yellow feather on his neck! It's not doing any harm, it's just there.

OP
LouieTheBird

LouieTheBird

Jul 20, 2017
NC
Parrots
Should I spary him and if so how much I have been thinking about it we get him out daily for at least an hour. The pet store did have a lot of conures so I don't know how often they handled them he probably bathes about once or twice a week but if I need to spray him I definitely can.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
it honestly doesn't look like an unclean feather as when a feather gets greasy it gets like outlined with black, not entirely turn black. still think it's just an odd ball feather but I do suggest misting your bird a couple times a week. or you can try taking him into the shower with you. that's what I do with Lincoln. I just make sure the temperature isn't too warm and not freezing and hold him at the bottom of the shower so he doesn't get all that water pressure and it's essentially just rain. slowly introduce him to it though.

OP
LouieTheBird

LouieTheBird

Jul 20, 2017
NC
Parrots
Okay I might try the shower some time I will mist him a couple times a week

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
if you want to give a really good clean, try bringing him in the shower with you. They get super clean, they can love it, it's really good bonding time and more than anything seeing them turn into 'captain spiky feathers' is hilarious

Most Reactions

Latest posts