LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Tiki //
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Indian Ringnecks - Kermit and Beaker
Hello everyone,

A short while ago I came home from work and discovered one of my Ringnecks lost a blood feather. It is one of his longest tail feathers - the shaft is still full of blood. I know blood feathers can break, and it can be an emergency due to bleeding. However, I can't find a drop of blood anywhere. None on the bird, none in his cage, not even on the floor where the feather landed. I'm going to try to attach photos.

I restrained him and my husband when through his tail feathers and we can't find any blood or even the rest of the pin feather. It's almost as if it just died and fell out.

Not having ever had something like this happen - is it possible the feather just died and fell out?

I called my avian vet but she is not in. I called the animal emergency vet that sees birds and they said as long as he is not bleeding to not worry about it (obviously they don't know bird people well - of course I'm going to worry about it). I don't want to rush him off to an unfamiliar vet that may or may not handle birds well if there's really not anything to worry about though.

I have an email out to my regular avian vet.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3718.jpg
    IMG_3718.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 119

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
I would follow up with the AV, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it if the bird isn't showing any symptoms and isn't bleeding.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
It looks like it already dried out (after growing) and then broke.
The feather just did not make it out of the protective layer.

I do not know why- if your vet knows, plze PM me!
The same weird stuff goes on here with my plucking/ barbering macaw, it's like the outher packaging just is too tight (in places) or to strong for the feather to really develop fully.
(we are have even been testing for PBFD and all that kind of nightmarish stuff but came back negative)
I am not sure if (in my case) if the growing out process just goes wonky because she bit at it while it was emerging form the skin and caused it to "malfunction" or that she bites the ones that are already malfunctioning when they come out ...
(chicken-egg situation)

If your bird is otherwise fine it might very well be a one-time-only.
(maybe he bumped it when it was just a little sprout or something ...)

OP
L

LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Thank you both so much for your responses.

Kermit (my Ringneck) doesn't have any plucking issues. He did have a rather horrendous molt... it was like every feather grew in at once. This is his first moly loving with me though so I don't know how bad he normally molts.

I will let you know when I hear from my vet.

I just checked him again a little while ago and still no blood, acting normal.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Generally, when a blood feather is pulled cleanly out from the follicle, the bleeding stops shortly thereafter. That is why some people pull broken blood feathers in order to stop bleeding. As long as the tip looks like a full quill and it doesn't look like it snapped off at the skin, and it isn't bleeding, then you should probably be okay, but a CAV could verify this for you----I am not a vet by any stretch of the imagination.

OP
L

LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Sun Conure - Nacho //
I heard back from my avian vet. She said it looks like the entire feather came out. She's thinking the feather may have been damaged and the body just knew it and pushed it out naturally. Phew! I was worried sick.

Maybe that could explain the similar situation you have ChristaNL. Maybe your macaw damages them and they get shed naturally?

jessicaleighadams

Jan 20, 2015
Kettering, Northamptonshire, England
Parrots
Blue fronted Amazon
I have had the same thing today with my amazon. Although the feather was chewed by him. I’m not sure if it was chewed out or chewed on after coming out. Can’t find any blood on him, just the feather. Found a smaller feather in the grate of his cage, with a small amount on though.

Like you I am super worried and have messaged the vet. I’m not getting any sleep tonight!

Most Reactions

Latest posts