Blue amazon

rosie03

Dec 28, 2011
united kingdom
Parrots
amazon blue head
HI ALL

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME I BOUGHT A AMAZON (BLU HEAD) YESTERDAY 14 MONTHS

SHE HAS BEEN HAND REARD BUT FOR THE LAST 3 MONTHS HER ORIGINAL OWNERS WENT ABROAD LEAVING ROSIE TO THERE SON WHO KEPT HER IN HER CAGE THE WHOLE TIME! I SETTLED HER INTO HER INTO HER ORIGINAL CAGE SHE HAD NO TOYS IN THERE SO I PUT JUST ONE IN WITH HER FRESH WATER AND FOOD SHE ATE AFTER BEING WITH US AN HOUR I HAVE A GOLDEN LAB WHO ROSIE DID NOT SEEM TO MIND HOWEVER WHEN I GO NEAR HER SHE TENDS TO GROWL IF I PUT MY FINGERS NEAR THE CAGE SHE IS FINE WITH ME SITTING WITH HER AND TALKING I BELIEVE SHE SAYS HELLO AND WOLF WHISTLES ......DUE TO HER AGE I HAVE READ THAT SHE WILL NOT LEARN ANY NEW WORDS HOW TRUE IS THIS? I WILL HAVE MUCH TIME FOR HER MY CHILDREN HAVE ALSO BEEN TALKING TO HER SO SHE SHALL GET USED TO US ALL I WAS JUST HOPING SOMEONE MIGH BE ABLE TO GIVE ME SOME ADVISE ON TRYING TO GET HER USED TO BE HELD AGAIN?

THANKYOU VERY MUCH X:green:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
[FONT=&quot]Hi there......
This is my advice to many members with new birds.

Your bird must have time to settle down and adjust. Just imagine how many new things the bird has encountered. So many new faces and voices, it must be so scary.
To gain your trust could take days, weeks, months even years. Each and every bird is so different. She obviously feels a comfort zone is his cage.
Sit near the cage, talking and singing to the bird. Let her become familiar with your voice. Leaving the cage door open, offer her treats through the bars at first. When she willingly accepts them, try placing a treat near the open door. Eventually she will starts taking the treats from the door, make no attempt to touch her. When she does come out, she will probably climb around on the cage. Let her explore in his own time. To get her back in, place a treat inside the cage, making sure it's visible.

Let us know how it goes
:grey:
[/FONT]

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Hi and welcome to the forum :D You have already been given great advice. BF Amazons are well known for their talking ability and he is certainly not too old to learn and say lots of new words! Just give him time, and he will come out with lots of new things when he is ready :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My conures do and have said new things late in life, so I expect they all can.

Try some lightly interactive games with her. When she blinks, you blink. If she sticks out her tongue, do it back. Praise any happiness behaviors like stretching, tail wagging or flapping wings (my zon seems to flap his wings as a greeting to me). Sit near the cage and talk and sing quietly. You did get a bunch of other good advice as well.

You might try hiding under a blanket or towel or behind the couch and playing peak a boo. Give coy, smiling looks with your face sideways. Giggle when you do it.

Let her see you petting a dog or cat. That seemed to be the act that won over my zon when he first came here. He growled at me for 2 days. And kept his back to the rest of us. Then I noticed he was watching me pet the cat. And I went outside for a couple of hours and boy did I get a greeting when I came back in. He began singing opera, which I had been told he did. After that, things moved along very well. I was expecting possibly months for him to trust me, but that first week we made amazing strides.

The first time I let him out, he was still concerned about stepping up on me. He would climb up to the top of the cage, climb down to see me, I'd put out my arm and up he would go again. This went on for maybe half an hour, and then he got on my arm and snuggled.

He also likes me to imitate every sound or word he makes.

BeemersMomma

Dec 11, 2011
I got a 12 year old yellow nape back in August she has learned alot since August...She meows like my cat and my back door squeaks and she can do it exactly like the door my husband has a bad cold and she has the cough down pat and his snoaring she is a fast learner my ring tone is Randy Travis for ever and ever well she now says love you forever I do not know if this is common but I watch my mouth she is a real fast learner

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
Hi there and welcome to parrot forums. I bought a breeding pair of 10yr old yellow naped amazons completely untamed last september. They have come leeps an bounds and like the previous advice I just sit by thier cage often, ive even taken to singing to them, always the same lullaby. An in the past month they have started to sing the son back to be when i sing to them. =)So just be patient they are smart and with that high intelligence also comes the ability to have all the other emotions too. Fear, nervous, confused and so many more he is probably experianceing now.

Most Reactions