Blue & gold macaw feather help...? :)

JAYE

Oct 29, 2017
Suffolk
Parrots
RIO THE B&G :)
Heya guys

I've noticed recently that my baby has a few snips on 'his' feathers and wondered if this should be a major cause for concern?
Rio is 9 months old, always happy and cooing lots, has plenty of flight space and a good mixed diet of seeds, pellets, fruits and veggies etc

You read so many different things online, its normal in babies, could be low in calcium etc... so I just wanted your opinions please?
Of course I want the best for my bird, if I didnt then I guess I wouldn't be asking in the first place :) But i do tend to be a bit of an over worrier!!!

Thanks in advance :) :blue1:

P.s tried to add a photo, but for some reason every photo exceeds the maximum :(

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
A photo would help, I use Flickr after photobucket changed their terms and it seems to work well.

What exactly do you mean by a few snips? He has chewed his feathers, or he has broken them off? Is he stripping them? Does he get baths? I will say that macaws, up until around two years old, are pretty clumsy and will break feathers off often, especially tail feathers. He could also be going through his first molt.

When was his last vet check? If you are concerned, your avian vet will also be able to help you and give you advice as to what is going on with your baby for sure.

OP
JAYE

JAYE

Oct 29, 2017
Suffolk
Parrots
RIO THE B&G :)
A photo would help, I use Flickr after photobucket changed their terms and it seems to work well.

What exactly do you mean by a few snips? He has chewed his feathers, or he has broken them off? Is he stripping them? Does he get baths? I will say that macaws, up until around two years old, are pretty clumsy and will break feathers off often, especially tail feathers. He could also be going through his first molt.

When was his last vet check? If you are concerned, your avian vet will also be able to help you and give you advice as to what is going on with your baby for sure.

dateposted-public

i tried with flickr but i dont know what im doing wrong :( the photos just wont show.

Just a few months ago after we got him and he bathes regular as he LOOOOOVEs water! :)
I will be contacting the vet for sure, Im just a classic over worrier where my baby is concerned so was lookin for other peoples thoughts, thank you! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts