Marina

May 14, 2013
Quebec, CA
Parrots
2 female cinnamon pearl pied cockatiels, Princess and Chicken***

1 female OW amazon, Kiwi***

R.I.P Roxy my female pineapple conure***

1 female DYH amazon parrot
I am contemplating getting a blue-throated conure as a pet to be a part of my flock of 2 cockatiels, my amazon and my boyfriend! They average 650$ in Quebec and come from a rare few breeders. One breeder told me they are super cuddly but can become one person birds. Can anyone give me some more info on them or vouch for what one breeder told me. I am told they are near impossible to find in the U.S which is unfortunate for Americans because they are the largest and so beautiful out of all Pyrrhuras.
From either oiselleriegoodbird or oiselleriedomingo.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Marina, I don't know that you'll find much information about blue-throats around here.....while I know of the species, I have never known anyone who has had one.....sorry.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Marina, the information you've been given is correct! I mostly see BTC's in either Canada or Australia and am quite jealous that they aren't available for the pet trade in the USA!

patch

May 14, 2012
Parrots
Nanday mutation
I think any parrot has the capacity to become a one-person bird depending on their personality and their exposure to other people. You sound like you know how parrots work, so to speak, so I think you'll know how to handle any issues that come up, though I doubt any will!

OP
Marina

Marina

May 14, 2013
Quebec, CA
Parrots

Well I got a brown headed parrot. Their beauty is what you make of it. They have probably the prettiest green a parrot could have and they are soft and snuggly, with adventure and curiosity, with calm and timid and goofy all in one package. Under his/her rump is a hue of greens, almost blue almost yellow and bright to.

Last edited:
OP
Marina

Marina

May 14, 2013
Quebec, CA
Parrots

Its fine i got a brown headed. Nearly just as rare but i got him and no regrets so far. Hes a strange little bird. Hes timid and slow but he just loves to prance around when hes on the floor, and that was the first day at my place. There are enough blue throated breeders around but the babies are over my budget and no adults were available and i wanted a bird now. The future could see a sun conure maybe as my boyfriend was grumpy we didnt get a little female that was available for the same price as my brown headed. A brown headed's character is more diverse i'd say. You feel like he's an intelligent bird, more so than any conure i've met.

Marina, I don't know that you'll find much information about blue-throats around here.....while I know of the species, I have never known anyone who has had one.....sorry.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Brown heads aren't nearly as rare at BTC's (we have them in USA, too!), but I do think they are one of those hidden gems, often overlooked for the more "pretty" of the Pois.

Gratz on bringing home a little brown head!

OP
Marina

Marina

May 14, 2013
Quebec, CA
Parrots

I no longer have the bh. He was a horrible fit in my household and was not content with us. I adopted him out to a man who he took to right away. I was happy to see that actually. Blue throated conures are still a beauty and indeed a rare gem. Another couple was being sold by one of the only breeders of them around my area. Its a shame they arent more popular. Maybe theyre hard to breed.

Klaery

Jul 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Elroy - Hahns macaw, Ponyo - Sun conure
I had the chance to meet a young pair a few weeks ago. They were gorgeous and one may indeed join our household in the next year or so. They are beautiful birds.

Most Reactions