Boarding and quarenteen question...

LuvJardines

Sep 6, 2015
Media
Illinois
Parrots
Jardine, U2
Getting ready to bring home a rescue bird and I'm reading about quarenteening....but then I see birds boarded and they are in cages next to each other sharing airspace and caretakers. Doesn't quarenteening mean a different room? So boarding is therefore risky? Just thinking to much maybe?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Boarding is indeed risky! Even more so if the boarder doesn't ask for health certificates issued by an a-vet within the last 30 days or so. Specific health/diseases should have been tested for, but even those could potentially have false negative readings.

And yes, ideally quarantine should be done in an entirely different room with different air space. Of course that is quite difficult to achieve if you have central air/heat.

OP
LuvJardines

LuvJardines

Sep 6, 2015
Media
Illinois
Parrots
Jardine, U2
Yes, we have central heating so it's not totally safe. The first 30 days is gonna be rough. You want the new bird to be able to observe its new home, but will basically have to be put in solitude, with occasional visits. I don't want to put the rescue bird in our daughters suite on another level fearing she'll bond with her, who isn't around much.
I'll search for a good article on this. Thank you.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yes, we have central heating so it's not totally safe. The first 30 days is gonna be rough. You want the new bird to be able to observe its new home, but will basically have to be put in solitude, with occasional visits. I don't want to put the rescue bird in our daughters suite on another level fearing she'll bond with her, who isn't around much.
I'll search for a good article on this. Thank you.
I quarantine in a different building. For 90 days. But then again i have a lot more to lose.than the average person.

Most Reactions