Body Language

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
Today, as I was talking with my little guy, I noticed him edging closer and closer to me on the perch, almost leaning toward me. He doesn't do 'step up' so I don't think he was wanting me to pick him up - but he wanted something. I just kept talking sweet to him for a while, while he tried to communicate SOMETHING, lol.

He wasn't asking to be petted. When he wants the back of his neck scritched, he makes a sort of quacking noise and preens his chest feathers and half-closes his eyes. If he's just preening, not asking for pets, he doesn't make the noise, and he keeps an eagle eye on everything, lol.

He was just looking at me, and talking back to me, but sort of leaning in, which is a new body-language word I don't know. Do they all have individual body language 'words' or is it universal?

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Yes they are as individual as we are. You might start target and step up training, too. This will require scheduled times and a routine. Just before meal times is good. For instance, [ame="https://youtu.be/9uiP0fJk3yM"]How to Train Your Parrot to Step Up | Parrot Training - YouTube[/ame] as a starter. In the youtube.com search window, type parrot target training or parrot step up training, hit enter. jh

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
He sounds like he is getting more comfortable and thinking about stepping up, but is not quite there. Keep doing what you are doing and be patient- I am sure he will decide to step up when ready.

OP
NewQuakerMom

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
Yes they are as individual as we are. You might start target and step up training, too.
Thank you! We're working on the stepping up - we've gotten him to step up on a wooden perch a few times, so PROGRESS! Lol! He'll go all over with target training now, so we're working slowly toward getting him comfy with the idea of 'step up' and so on. We've only had him for <2 months, and who knows how long he was on his own out there before that (he makes a lot of wild bird sounds, including a very scary hawk scream so I think maybe he was lost for a long time before he asked for help!!

He sounds like he is getting more comfortable and thinking about stepping up, but is not quite there. Keep doing what you are doing and be patient- I am sure he will decide to step up when ready.

Oh I hope so! He's so adorable, lol! :) :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts