Bonded birds as a companion?

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
In my area, it is sad to say, but many birds are up for adoption. WAIT. They're all bonded!! Many of these birds came from people that wanted to breed them but they weren't good breeders, or weren't producing enough to compensate for their staying. Or simply, they just had two macaws, stuck'em inside a cage and they plucked themselves naked. :11:

But are bonded birds good companions? I can't afford two macaws anyway (it's their "rehoming" fee that I can't afford...3200?!), so it's not even on my radar to adopt a pair, but does anyone have experience of a pair? Will they interact with you? I'm looking for a bird that I can bond with and have a future with. I don't want a bird that's there, but tolerates me since I feed them. :54:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Generally speaking, breeder birds are usually not pet quality... And may never become pet quality again.

Some can be handled again if you work with them. It very much depends on the bird.

Usually not the sort of thing I would want to take on... if I were looking for a companion bird for myself.

Honestly, if you've got your heart set on a pet quality big mac, call someone like Wendy... find someone who does it right!

Last edited:
OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Generally speaking, breeder birds are usually not pet quality... And may never become pet quality again.

Some can be handled again if you work with them. It very much depends on the bird.

Usually not the sort of thing I would want to take on... if I were looking for a companion bird for myself.

Honestly, if you've got your heart set on a pet quality big mac, call someone like Wendy... find someone who does it right!

The answer I wasn't looking for, but knew was right. >_< It's just so depressing to see so many beautiful macaws abused like that. I'm looking for a GW (or any macaw that I'll click with), but whenever I type in GW into craigslist, I see bald macaw pairs. *sigh*

Wendy is a breeder!? :eek:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
One of the best macaw breeders in the US.

Home

If you've never rehabbed a big mac, trying to turn breeder birds into pet quality birds is NOT the place to start. Even experienced people often fail, or rather, have "limited success" with this one...

Most of the birds that end up on Craig's list end up there for a reason other than the one usually given... "I just don't have time for him anymore... blah! blah! blah!" [Translation, Stopped handling him years ago. Now I can't even bother to clean the cage, or change the food and water anymore... Just want my money back somehow! What was I thinking getting a bird?!]

Last edited:
OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
One of the best macaw breeders in the US.

Home

If you've never rehabbed a big mac, trying to turn breeder birds into pet quality birds is NOT the place to start. Even experienced people often fail, or rather, have "limited success" with this one...

Going to go stalk her. Thank you!

I was never going to buy a pair since I can't even afford a pair, but thanks for telling me. Now I know to never buy a pair!!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
June, I know you mentioned on another thread that you live with your parents. I'm glad you've taken the time to educate them about the intelligence and sensitivity of parrots.

Regarding the large macaws... Have you or your parents ever heard one at FULL volume?
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49891-macaw-vs-umbrella-too-screaming-3.html
Look at the 3rd page of this thread, where Birdman666 had posted screaming videos. THE SECOND video down, with the Scarlet Macaw at full blast. :eek:

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
June, I know you mentioned on another thread that you live with your parents. I'm glad you've taken the time to educate them about the intelligence and sensitivity of parrots.

Regarding the large macaws... Have you or your parents ever heard one at FULL volume?
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49891-macaw-vs-umbrella-too-screaming-3.html
Look at the 3rd page of this thread, where Birdman666 had posted screaming videos. THE SECOND video down, with the Scarlet Macaw at full blast. :eek:

Yeah, I'm a minor so I live with my familia. Hehe. And yes... My parents shrugged saying, "If we've had two infants in the same house, we can do anything." And even if we do get a singer and noise is unexpected, my parents aren't ones to throw away an animal so quick. We've even lived in a no animals allowed area before, and still kept our dog. But seriously, anyone that comes into our house and stays for more than a month without paying rent is considered family. LOL. My neighbors can't file a complaint either, since we tolerate their partying pretty well. :D Hakuna matata here!

Most Reactions