Bonded macaw seems "uninterested"

Kingarex

Dec 24, 2013
This is my first post! Hello all.

I have a 21 year old B&G named Ivan :blue1:. I'm his second owner and have had him about a year. He's a great boy and has bonded to me well. He greets me, says goodnight or goodbye when appropriate, He steps up, let's me touch/pet/inspect him wherever/whenever, and he asks to come out constantly. He spends 5-10 hours a day, free roaming on top of his cage.

But here's my question, he likes me, It's obvious, but he never WANTS to be around me. He never asks to step up (though he always will on command) he doesn't come to me on his own Ever (and he loves the floor, so it's not that) and when I bring him to me, he will stay for a few seconds then truck back to the top of his cage or to somewhere else. (like the corner of the couch)

He's not unhappy, and he doesn't mind being on me when we hang out, but it's never his "idea" to hang out. I honestly believe he would spend his life on top of, or in his cage alone if I didn't go out of my way to make him spend time with me. How can I remedy this?

The only time he actively seeks me is when I have food, and then he eats and leaves.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I would have to say your quite fortunate that he doesn't try to stick to you like glue as that creates lesser issues. Lesser chance of plucking, frustration, etc. So I personally wouldn't worry about it, I would just be glad.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I agree with Michael. Sounds like you have a VERY well adjusted AND friendly big mac. :)

He may not be a Velcro bird, but he's not a biter either. :)

OP
K

Kingarex

Dec 24, 2013
Oh yeah he's just perfect! I just want to make sure he isn't homesick or actually sick. He really couldn't care less about being neat me, but at the same time, he's completely comfortablewith me and welcoming when i bring the attention to him. It's such a weird paradox. Fine, I'll just be a food distributor and taxi for him. Ha!

OP
K

Kingarex

Dec 24, 2013
In a year he's only bitten me twice, and they weren't "damage bites" just stiff warnings. He's such a good guy. He never plucks, and eats like a hog. So I assume he's happy.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So tell us a bit more about Ivan (LOVE the name!!!). How is he housed? Does he play with his toys? Is he destructive? Does he forage? Can you play games with him that excite him, like tug of war?

Is he your only parrot?

I truly think Ivan loves you and trusts you 100% or you wouldn't be able to inspect every square inch of his feathered hiney. ;)

OP
K

Kingarex

Dec 24, 2013
It's hard to explain. He's 21 so he doesn't get playful very often . He poops in a single neat pile in his cage, doesn't really chew his perches, but I have a large rope that he destroys when he's angry and ignores otherwise, and a rubber ball with a bell in it that is new, but again seems to only mess with when I'm not letting him out or feeding him some of My dinner. But whenever there is a pile of clean clothes or a blanket/towel on the ground he makes a B-line for it and literally rubs the side of his face back and forth on it as if he's enjoying the softness. He also gets aggressive (playfully I think) toward towels/blankets. He hisses and then grabs ahold and Bob's his head vertically really fast while grinding it in his beak, like a dog shakes a sock. It's not tug of war, because he does it whether I'm around or not. He also enjoys climbing into any open drawer and throwing the contents onto the floor until it's empty and then climbing up to the next drawer and repeating. Lastly he likes to go into the bathroom and make "meatballs" (regurgitation)! Every once in a while I'll be watching TV and I'll look over at his cage and he won't be there and I'll hear "mmmmmm!" "want some?" "more?" and I'll walk in tango the bathroom and he will be on the bathmat and have zupreem goo all over his beak. Lol.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
LoL......they do the craziest things and say the darnest thing at the right time....lol....

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Ok.. That really made me laugh... LOL. 'Want some more?' Is there something in the bathroom he REALLY likes? Like a floor Matt or something? I suppose that could be the issue,

Do you have any pics of this sweety?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
And I forgot one thing:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM. :)

He truly sounds like heaps of fun. If he's doing all these silly and fun things, he's truly made himself at home. :)

I know which rubber thing with a bell you are talking about. My Greenwing Mac just finished tearing his apart completely, and I quickly chucked the bell. :54: My B&G has a Kong toy (all rubber) that he loves throwing around all over the place.

OP
K

Kingarex

Dec 24, 2013
Forgive the horrible pictures. I had just woken up.

Yeah he tries to get me into the dark bathroom e we can mate. He's been utterly unsuccessful in his attempts, but he always tries. If I leave him alone in there for more than afew minutes there will surely be a meatball waiting to seduce me. Ha.

He's my only bird. My dad has a greenwing who is the polar opposite, she's a velcro bird for sure it's hilarious when we put them together on the kitchen Island at my dad's house. They go to the opposite ends and avoid each other. It's like an awkward 8th grade dance.

Attachments

• 20131211_205456.jpg
    20131211_205456.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 20131221_192920.jpg
    20131221_192920.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 247

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
He looks good! Willie and Lola go the opposite direction as well avoiding one another.

Most Reactions