Bowl-dumping (GRRRRRR!!!!!!!)

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
Chains are okay, as long as you know what type of metal it's made out of. He could still potentially get his talon caught in between a link, as one of mine once did.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Plumsmum, I think our definitions of "slight" vary somewhat.

The weight ranges I've seen quoted for patties are from 250-320g. That is well within similar limits for smaller amazons like white spectacled, Cuban, and yellow shouldered amazons, and a solomons island eclectus (my red sided sits around 470g, significantly bigger). Different body build but same heft. Even on the low end, Not too small in my book for a medium sized parrot.

RB2 can get range all the way up to 400g, so I'm not surprised you feel a significant difference.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah, the one time I had a patty of cuddle, scratch and hold, I noticed that he was slighter of build the Salty, tho about the same size. Didn't look at his feet (I mean how often do you look at a man's shoes.. what's this quote from?). If all else fails, crazy glue the bowls in and turn the cage over to empty the bowls. Ha,ha, even I am not that stupid.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
True, Greyt, I buy stainless steel, with links that are smooth, round, and big enough for toes in and out. Sorry about your bird, and hope that the toe was okay!

Chris... WOW!
This site says average weight is 232... Rickeybird is usually at about 240, and close to 18 inches, so he's long. I have no idea if this site is more or less reliable than others... it's an avian vet, Dr. McDonald. http://www.scottemcdonald.com/pdfs/Average Weights.pdf
But then I looked around and found weights all over the place, well up into 300s.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=weight+of+patagonian+conure

I wonder if some people are measuring Greater Patagonians, but I have nod idea. I have had experience with only one.

Thank you for taking so much interest!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Thanks, Wrench!

His lightness surprises just about anybody who holds him, except vets. Hey, I'll get you a picture of his feet! They're really very cute!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
And just for you, Mr. Wrench... the majestic Patagonian Conure and his funny little pink cockatiel feet... no disrespect to our 'tiel brothers and sisters... they fit you guys perfectly!!!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Shhhh ! I have a secret birdie foot fetish, and those are some cute little bird feet.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Plumsmum, I think our definitions of "slight" vary somewhat.

The weight ranges I've seen quoted for patties are from 250-320g. That is well within similar limits for smaller amazons like white spectacled, Cuban, and yellow shouldered amazons, and a solomons island eclectus (my red sided sits around 470g, significantly bigger). Different body build but same heft. Even on the low end, Not too small in my book for a medium sized parrot.

RB2 can get range all the way up to 400g, so I'm not surprised you feel a significant difference.

Yes, sure do feel a significant difference, he has such a light body in comparison to Plum but is an incredibly strong little fella.

I wish! I think Plum must think he is a pink, white and grey version of an solomons island eclectus LOL :)

Last edited:
OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Y'all are completely cracking me up!!

Yes, Wrench, aren't they cute? I let him keep his nails a bit long because he can use them to grab perches better, especially the smooth one in his travel cage. I have finally got enough textured perches in his cage (along with smoother ones, especially for night-roosting... wouldn't want to scuff those pretty little feets) that I don't have to trim his nails. Haven't in 10-15years. I used to dread that more than death or taxes.

Oh, and he's finicky about his feet. He likes cuddles and rubs elsewhere, but touch his feet (other than to offer a step-up) and be ready for indignant squawking and a bite! I last made that error many moons ago!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
P.S.
I forgot to THANK some of you for your posts, but I just now went back and made sure.
THANKS!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Well, here's the new set-up.

Lots of stuff near perches, and a nice "4-story" chain from basement to middle to ceiling to roof-top, that has a foraging toy Wrench gave us. I put some Brazil-nut pieces in it, and RB got so beside himself he knocked himself off the perch twice... just didn't have the composure or smarts to get at the nuts. Then I replaced the nuts with a little Serrano pepper and stuck it in 1/3 way into the whole (a good, tight fit), and a good time was had by all. That's his favorite ball on the floor... that ball is NICE to him, unlike the evil demon-bouncy ball which Wrench also sent. I save the demon ball for outside the cage. You can't really see them, but there are screw-type C-clips all over the place, which he loves to un-do and drop to the floor. Yours truly then has the job of picking them out of his poo and washing them. Then in the middle on the main perch, he can flap freely.

So... do I get a passing grade this time, Professors???? :)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Closer. But the toys all look the same from a distance. My strongest recommendation is to take a close look at the perch situation.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Help me, Chris, like how?
Sorry... I may be dense, but I'm sincere!
He really seemed happy and busy and... ate a TON more than usual! He cleaned his bowl. I had to put more in!
Well, I'm on the right path, anyway!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I should add that the "curtains" are pulled up when the temperature is nice... and lowered when that afternoon sun is hotttttt!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Sorry, I was at a party so pounded that message out abruptly.

This will be my last post about this, I truly am only trying to be helpful but I find myself extremely self conscious about appearing to finger wag and make you feel bad. Certainly don't want to do that; just want to be supportive. And you take great care of your bird so who am I to question that?

What I see when I look at the cage is a single dowel perch with a few toys dangling over it. I see his world as being very linear in there. Add a small boing, get rid of the dowel, a dangling circle perch might be nice. Any toys he can shred in there?

When I construct Parkers cage I make sure every part of the cage is connected but he can't get from point a to point b via a straight line. He has to work to get from his favorite perch area to his food bowl.

But this is what Parker needs. You know your bird better than I do and what he likes and doesn't.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
You are asking and wanting to learn and as Chris has said none of us want to finger wag, help hell yes! So as far as I can see it is all good, you are aware and the rest is observe and improve where possible over time. :)

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Chris, PlumsMum... thank you both. I never took any of your posts as finger-wagging, and I thank you for the information and inspiration. Now that I'm not working, the RB spends much of his day with me, but I want his cage to be a fun place, too. I *will* keep watching and learning what works for him.
RB thanks you, too.
:)

Most Reactions