Bragging Time - What Makes You Proud of Your Fid?

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
Now you've done it!!!

My WCP Sherman joined our flock as an abused bird afraid of everything! She now knows it's okay to take risks. She didn't even know what a toy was! 6 months later, she has 2 toys and a swing!

She recently moved into the birdroom and 2 days ago, she tried to copy the budgies. (Sherman has mismatched wings so can't fly and one foot doesn't work very well.) She held on with her good foot and flapped BOTH wings.

Sherman has balance issues but now sleeps through the night instead of constantly falling. She's the best and I'm so proud of her!

MauiWendy

Nov 15, 2018
Maui, Hawaii
Parrots
Keoki - Red Bellied Parrot
Gary is adjusting to his new home. Thought he was starting to talk among all his clicks and whistles but couldnโ€™t make out anything. Then yesterday as clear as day he says โ€œhey garyโ€. We named him gary as he didnโ€™t have a name. I was just so thrilled. Heโ€™s still pretty standoffish, but heโ€™s happy.

Last edited:

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
I'm proud of Jojo for being such a sweet bird. He's a very good boy to everybody and is very nice to strangers ! He can also kiss and mock sigh, as well as saying "good boy" a couple of times.

I'm proud of Kirby for being hilarious and taking no sh*t from nobody. He's also beautiful.

I'm proud of Shiro for adapting to her new home even though she is a very skittish and shy bird. It must have been hard for her but she's a strong girl !

Most of all I'm proud of my birds for being themselves. They don't need to do any fancy tricks or say any cool words for me to love them or be proud of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeD91

Oct 10, 2018
Media
Conneaut Lake, Pa
Parrots
Bill, Yellow Naped
Amazon.
Banker, Muloccan Cockattoo
My YNA Bill just started to do something cool, and he wants to do it all the time now! A bunch of times when I go to handle Bill he would try to get a hold of my hand with his foot. I would always rub his foot, and mess around with him, and I didn't really know what he wanted to do? So he grabs my fingers pretty good and this time he was not letting go. I wasn't scared or thinking that something bad was going to happen, it was just something he liked doing. So when I had enough and tried to pull away Bill just let go with his other foot and was hanging upside down by one foot! I didn't know what to do, it was real different to have him do this. So while he was hanging from my hand I lowered him onto my other hand lying him on his back in my hand. He loved it so much! he was making all those happy sounds that you know he's happy! I cradled him in and held him like a baby and he was just so happy! I didn't know what to do then, and I didn't want to do something that would change his mood and bite me. So I just totally put him in my hands and turned him over and sat him on his cage door where he likes to hang. I was so happy, I have been wanting to hold him like that since he got me, and now I have. Since then I've done it about 7 times and I let him hang longer and longer. It seams like Bill and I have gotten over a hill now and our relationship is moving faster and faster in such a great way. I bring him down on the couch with me and let him tear up the paper and just hang out, its great! I love him more and more everyday! Even with little bumps in the road, we are super tight. I was showing friends and family how I can pick him up and let him hang on Turkey Day, and everyone thought it was really cool. I was a little bit proud to be able to show everyone what Bill and I could do. Later on Bill wanted to go for a ride on my shoulder and all was calm until a kid came running out kicking a ball and scared the crap out of him. He took a bite of my neck that didn't hurt that bad, but it wasn't something I wanted to have happen. I'm learning so much, and getting closer and closer to Bill that I think about getting a friend for him, but I'm not sure?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Okay, so I already have talked about how my bird will sometimes remind me to follow her routine by saying phrases associated with different components of the day (untaught and in-context).

Anyway, she normally lets me know she is ready for bed around 5:30 or 6 by bobbing on the left side of her cage with a red pellet in her mouth....SOOOO...

Last night, she was up WAY later than usual (8:00), acting goofy/over-the-top etc. Suddenly, I asked my sister (who was visiting) whether I had given her (Noodles) her medicine. I realized I hadn't given her her nightly "treat"/"chippy" (TINY low-salt cracker fragment soaked in meds)---So I asked her if she wanted it..She responded to the question in an affirmative way and within 2 minutes of me giving it to her, she got a red pellet and started bobbing on the left-hand side of her cage---In other words, she went to be right away after having completed her ritual....MY BAD! lol Smart girl. This happened about a week after she literally reminded me to give her her medicine by saying, "want a chippy? Come here!!!"

Historically, my sister hasn't thought that Noodles liked her much. That having been said, today, as my sister was packing up to leave, Noodles protested in a very obvious way. As soon as she saw the suitcases, she pulled out all of the stops and was trying to get my sister to stay---throwing pellets onto her head as she packed, saying, "I love you big girl- come here!", trying to climb onto her and sucking up like crazy, showing off, dancing around...it was so silly and cute/naughty/obvious. My sister actually cried a little bit because it was so obvious Noodles didn't want her to go! AW...After she left, Noodles said "I love you" to me and she has been very pensive/quiet for the past hour or so (unlike her mood before my sister arrived or left). I know she will get over it, as she has me etc, but it is a lot like a child who has to leave a summer-camp friend behind when their parents arrive.

Such a smart little brat with a HUGE personality/attitude/love/enthusiasm/crazy/loving. I have never met a more ridiculous animal (human or other) in my life...She is OVER-THE-TOP....and she can be very hot/cold, but she is smart and amazing all at the same time. Although she drives me insane, I love her SOOOO much....Weird weird bird...She is always very much herself!

Last edited:

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I'm so proud of my fids for so many reasons, it's hard to think of just a few good ones.

I'm SO proud that they will fly to me when I leave the room. Each and every time they do I feel like this incredible, magical creature of the air has chosen to be with ME, how lucky am I??

I'm bursting with pride when they see our Avian vet and he tells me how healthy they are because I take such good care of them.

Beyond that, I'm proud the my little Yoda can say "Hi Yoda!" and "Good morning!" and tells me when he has to poop and is potty trained (mostly) and knows a bunch of very cute tricks (like Turn Around and Dance and Danglebird and Wave and High-five.) And I'm proud that my sweet Trigger is 14 weeks old today and is already potty trained (mostly) and will Step Up and Come Here on command. :)

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I am proud of Japie for being totally fearless (quite unusual for a GAC I think - from reading everyones experience with them).
He fell in love with the trashcan a few days ago- so he will fly to the (empty) can, sit on the brim for a while and dive in!
He knows he cannot get out of it by himself - but he does not care ... true love conquers all! :D

(Okay: I think he is a bit of an idiot, but if it makes him happy... I will park the trashbag somewhere else, for the time being anyway)

And I am proud of Sunny - because she is in pain/ discomfort all the time and getting hormonal to boot and she still has not seriously injured me (she bit some skin-holes and gave me bruises, but with that humongous beak she could have done a *lot* more damage).
Even when she was completely groggy coming out of anesthesia she did not do any damage (and we did not know each other that long or even very well the first time- the CAV expected splintered human fingerboness and nothing serious happened, the second time she did panic again, but did no damage at all).

Oh...and I am very gratefull and happy you thought of creating this thread!
You are my honorary fid in this one: I love your idea!
Just love reading about all of them.

Last edited:

Most Reactions