brand new parrot owner

NBA

Jan 19, 2016
I brought home a baby parrot today. He seemed to be somewhat playful in the beginning, but for the past few hours he seems to be frozen with fear. My five year old was trying to hold him and he nipped at her and refused to go to her. He's been sitting in the same position now for hours and hasn't eaten or drank a thing. Is this normal behaviour? I am feeling so sorry for him. Thanks

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
You need to let him settle in before letting people handle him and giving him too much excitement. Some parrots can handle being thrown right into the mix but most need to settle for a couple days at least. So stick him in a cage with food and water...don't bother him and let him have some quiet time.

What did you get? Parrot is kind of a broad category:D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
As stated above, he needs time to adjust to his new home. My first bird, a budgie, clung to the side of his cage from about five or 6 PM until I went to sleep at about 2 AM. He was in that exact position the entire day and when I woke up the next day he had moved and actually ate and drank. I was concerned much like you are, but sometimes they just need time to adjust before feeling comfortable that's all. I'm sure he'll be bouncing around in no time :)

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Penelope Primrose: Crimson bellied conure
Same my conure took a week to even take a treat from my hand and about 2 weeks until she felt comfortable enough to step out of her cage. Quiet time to settle into the new environment and watch everyone from a safe place will make a better relationship in the long run.

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
My GCC took about 4 months to tame, her previous owners didn't handle her that well. A lot of grabbing and not reading/understanding body language.
So it might take a little while, completely normal :)

BirdGuy21

Jan 24, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Parrots
Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure- Alex
Just a side note regarding your five year old- be cautious around your new Senegal and your child. Especially as the new bird settles in, he or she may be more prone to biting out of fear. And since children are prone to loud noises and sudden movements which can easily frighten a bird, this could result in an unfortunate situation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts