Break through with Jake :)

Girl4Jesus83

Jan 14, 2014
Broomfield, CO
Parrots
Lutino Tiel - Jake
Yellow Nape Amazon - Shoku - greatly missed!
He is 15 and I'm his fourth owner. I've only had him a little less than a month now and doesn't let me touch yet, and this totally surprised me:

Everyone was eating lunch and Jake started going crazy in his cage, even though I gave him is lunch already. So, I grabbed my little bowl of cheeze-it duos (best cheese crackers ever!) and went to talk to him. He ran over to the open door and acted intrested in me (for one of the first times). So, I just talked to him and munched on my crackers. I turned to talk to one of my kids and he started to play with my hair - you should have seen me smile. So I let him play and ate another cracker. Then he reached over and started kind of kissing my lip (boy I was extremely surpised). I figured out he was going after my crackers. I showed him the bowl and he just dived right in! He even at some out of my hand! I only let him have about half a cracker before I finally cut him off.
I've been trying and trying to get him to eat something other than seed but I don't think he has ever seen a fruit or veggie in any form. So, now I am excited that I may have found a possible training treat, now not with cheeze-its but I want to find a homemade cracker that would be health for birds - does anyone know of one?
I am so happy that he let me come so close. Usually he lets me talk to him, but becomes really defensive if my hand even flinches. So to have him eating out of my hand and playing with my hair was such joy :).

:):yellow1::)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is so exciting! So happy for the progress you are making, and there is something so special about that first breakthrough!

Most Reactions