Breakthrough

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
For everyone who has been keeping up with my struggles with fresh food... finally, success!!!

After a year and a month of trying, I got Peeko to taste fresh fruit and veggies. Peas, corn, blueberry, strawberry, and raspberry... all within ten minutes!!!

I was going about it all wrong. Eating it in front of him and offering it to him got nowhere. All I had to do was leave it on a plate and act like it wasn't for him... Instantly, he wanted it like his life depended on it. I had to pretend not to notice as he sneaked closer and closer and he was quite proud of himself once he thought he had stolen some nibbles of my "dinner". What a little stinker!

OP
P

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
Upon closer inspection, he isn't actually eating the veggies, just puncturing the skin to suck the juice out and discarding the rest. Would he get any nutrition from that? Is he likely to start actually eating them after awhile of experimenting with them? Peas are definitely his favorite veggie so far, but he likes the fruit a lot more. As I understand it, veggies are more important, so its a little concerning that he's eating the fruit and "juicing" the veggies without actually eating them :s

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
That's awesome! Bandit is the same way. He's such a picky eater, but he'll eat anything as long as it's mine and "off limits."

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Any progress is good progress!!!!

And you can always try presenting the food in different ways, such as chopping it up, slicing it, dicing it, etc! Maybe even mixing it with other stuff!

MJ01

Feb 19, 2014
Upon closer inspection, he isn't actually eating the veggies, just puncturing the skin to suck the juice out and discarding the rest. Would he get any nutrition from that? Is he likely to start actually eating them after awhile of experimenting with them? Peas are definitely his favorite veggie so far, but he likes the fruit a lot more. As I understand it, veggies are more important, so its a little concerning that he's eating the fruit and "juicing" the veggies without actually eating them :s

My blue quaker skippa would just fling hes veges everywhere in the room then skippa started just sucking the juice out of it then would drop it and pick up another vegetable now hes finally starting to eat abit of it hopefully your birdy will aswell

Most Reactions

Latest posts