• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
There are a few members posting here that are being rude. That is not necessary to get your point known. Any forum must be checked by mods. for the total benefit of this community. I could say much more but then I would be rude which is not something I wish to do. Will we get people joining who just want to grasp at the opportunty to sell? The moderators will have to deal with them.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I'm not trying to rude at all and I'm sorry if it was construed that way. I love this forum either way, I just like to share photos of my babies and I know there are a lot of breeding related questions that seem to not have a place. I never meant to suggest that the breeding section be used to sell birds and that has never been my intention on this site. That's why when I do post pictures of our babies I don't say which ones may be available or ever mention prices or anything. I just know many people find it interesting and cute and honestly, I'm proud of my babies, I like to show them off to people :) I have never sold a bird through this site and I do not plan to, I have waiting lists for our birds and as of now, I don't even ship. I just think it would keep things a little more organized if there was an appropriate place to post questions regarding breeding and since so many people adopt retired breeding pairs I think it may also be of use to them to speak with people that have experience dealing with breeder birds and can try to help them live peacefully with their new companion. :)

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Yes if we were to have this section made it would have to be said that it is not for buying and selling the babies but rather to give advice on breeding and to share all of our baby pics. I will have a bunch of photos to share soon of my babies and it would be nice to have a section to post them in. There are plenty of sites on the Internet that are for buying and selling birds and this should not be one. I would like to keep the forum the way it is, to share info, ask questions, post cute baby pictures ect. I just think with so many people having questions regarding breeding and handfeeding I thought it would be nice to have a section specifically for that. Instead of having to search through the forum to find answers, it could be organized into one section.
And I'm sorry for anyone that has come off as rude as I don't think it was there intention to do so.

Violet

May 7, 2012
There are a few members posting here that are being rude. That is not necessary to get your point known. Any forum must be checked by mods. for the total benefit of this community. I could say much more but then I would be rude which is not something I wish to do. Will we get people joining who just want to grasp at the opportunty to sell? The moderators will have to deal with them.

Do you mean there are a few posting in this thread that are being rude? I am not sure I understand what you are saying. I don't think anyone in this thread has been rude, but maybe you are talking about something outside of this thread but regarding this topic? :confused:

Will we get people joining who just want to grasp at the opportunty to sell? The moderators will have to deal with them.

You will only get those people if you allow it to happen. For the record, I am part of a dog forum where we have a breeding section, and the one time someone tried to sell puppies everyone had a good chuckle with a bit of this --> :rolleyes: and the thread was shut down.

I don't think there is any harm in someone privately contacting a breeder via pm if they are truly interested, but I agree that the breeding section should not be used for blatant advertisement and that can be made a rule. If people break the rules and list availability and prices and all that, then they can face the consequences other forum rule-breakers face. To be honest, the majority of members here probably would not take someone advertising seriously, and the thread can just be removed (or have the content regarding sale aspects deleted) for lurkers who may not know any better.

I think that if there are clear rules that no advertising is permitted, and those rules are enforced, then it will be a non-issue. At my dog forum (which has a ton of members and is very high traffic) we do not get breeders joining just to advertise their dogs, because if they are blatantly advertising they are typically not a responsible breeder, and any thread they create to try to sell pups will end up giving them more negative attention from the members pointing out everything they are doing wrong than it would potential customers.

ETA: Oh and also, some people who joined and planned to get a puppy opted to change breeders from the local BYB to a responsible one on the forum (discreetly, through pm, so no advertising). Having the breeding section helped them realize the breeder they planned to work with was not that responsible or knowledgeable, and so being able to find someone much more reputable through the forum helped dissuade them from supporting the bad breeder. It was also nice because the breeder they contacted privately is now good friends with them via the forum and has been a great source of information for this person through the process of acquiring, training and and competing with their new dog.

If people can see breeders here doing things ethically it might make them more critical and equipped to know what kind of breeder is a good one versus joe shmoe down the street or the parrot pedler two towns over.

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I am a member of a couple of other bird forums and they both have a breeding section... I have not seen any birds for sale on these, just questions and answers on the topic 'breeding'

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
If you click on the number of votes (in the poll at the top) it will show you how members voted. The only "NO" votes are from the only 4 moderators that voted, the 21 "regular members" who voted all voted "YES". IcyWolf this is probably why you've seen no action on starting a "Breeders" section. I'm sure SB and the others have good reasons for not wanting this section, but i personally don't understand why. Maybe you and cdog should start a social group and "police" it yourselves. Maybe then the" powers that be" will allow you to join the regular forum.(hope that didn't sound rude)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I like that idea of a social group. It is really already formed but you just need to put a name to the group.

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
I have no interest in breeding birds myself but do like to read threads from breeders, seeing the babies and just to know what good breeders look like. I bought from a breeder and may do so again. I may also go through a rescue but I like all information available to me to make the right choice for my family and pets.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I like that idea of a social group. It is really already formed but you just need to put a name to the group.

But some of us don't want to be members of a social group like that and then be inundated with information or topics we really have no interest in. I occasionally reply to posts in almost every subform on here, but I don't necessarily want to look at every single post in the behavioral section or the Off-Topic section.

What's nice about having their own section is that us other members can go there, search for our question and if it hasn't been asked, we can post it directly in there. All the information in one place. A social group isn't the same thing. And it excludes people who may want access to the information but not necessarily be a member of the "group", such as myself, because we don't want to necessarily be a part of said grouping.

And while Parrott Forum isn't a democracy and doesn't have to go by "majority rules", you don't have to give us what we would like or ask for, I think that then making this into a poll was wrong. Because by making this a poll, you asked for our opinion and for our input and yet you're going to ignore it. That's not exactly right.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Katherine, perhaps the Mods just need a little time to digest the results of their poll. I'm a member of 4 different parrot forums and all except this one have a "breeders section" i don't see birds for sale in any of those sections , but don't know how much trouble it is for them to police either. There's a stereotype that breeders are only interested in a dollar, when in fact many (like myself) are very interested in improving the lives of companion birds and their owners, regardless if it's a rehome or a baby. Shame to waste a resource.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I too am not a breeder, I am heavily involved in rescues as most of you know, however breeders are a valuable resource to the hobbist. They have a lot of experience that we would all benefit from. Allowing for a section for breeders is a great way to aid us and have an outlet for the breeders available to us.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I've been staying out of the conflict,
scared5.gif
but I do believe a breeders section would attract more experienced bird people to the forum. You have to admit, most of us are pet bird owners. Many of us are 1st time bird owners. I remember when Gretchens Rio was hurt, there was noone on the board that could help, I tried, but my experience wasnt alot of help.:(

Now Mikey & Henpecked, you guys have alot of multiple bird experience that alot of us don't have. Having many different birds for multiple years, you have to pick up something. ;) The rest of us would benefit from having more people like you on the forum.

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
I agree with Merlinsmom. Im getting a bird from a breeder and would have a ton of questions and sometimes let's fa e it although I have a Breeder of my own, I might want to question his advice or get a second opinion. I do the same thing with my pediatrician for my kids. I don't see it as a bad thing as long as there was a strict criteria that was followed. Unfortunately there are pet mills out there. So I get why you don't want open that door.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I have remained silent on this thread.......... forum has been extremely busy.

Enough has been said "so to speak"

I suggest cdog and henpecked begin a social group for the breeders

"Breeders Section"

Good luck !!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions