Someone just brought me a baby bird :(

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Ok, so before I get told they should have left it alone, I know that and would have told them the same thing. There was a nest in the awning of their second floor apartment and this baby bird fell out and their dog was trying to attack it. So they took it inside and then called me when they were already on their way here! I'm not sure what kind of bird it is yet, I'm thinking a black bird or a starling, I have it set up in a brooder in a completely different part of the house from my birds and it is in a strict, permanent quarantine. So I guess my question is, does anyone have any advice? I would prefer to take it to a rehabber but the only one around here is run by a bunch of, well, I'll leave that to your imagination, but I have a few choice words for them. This is the last thing I needed to deal with right now, I have 10 babies I'm handfeeding right now, one of my parrotlets just hatched today and there are two clutches about to hatch and we are babysitting two birds and a kitty that is still on the bottle! Ahhhh. sorry lol. Here's a pic...
IMG_20120512_171806.jpg

Just did some google searching and I'm pretty sure it's a baby starling.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That looks like a black starling to me. This is what I was told by both humane society and wild life rehab when I took in a baby robin neighbor kids found. They both told me they don't have anyone available to handfeed so they would euthanize the baby. I told them no thank you, i'll raise him on my own and they were fine with it as I will not be in trouble if someone reported me cause they kept my info just in case.

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Icarus the Moustached Parakeet, Smudge, Pudge (RIP), and Floki the Budgies
If you can bring it back and get it back in the nest, it's not too late to put it back.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
So I've been looking online and and it is apparently legal to have starlings because they are not an indigenous species. There is no chance of putting it back in the nest, he was on his way to work when he came over so he just dropped it off and left and my car isn't running at the moment so I have no way to take it back.

I'm reading online and it says that a dog food mixture is best. The one recipe calls for dog/cat food, applesauce, boiled egg and water, problem is I don't have applesauce or eggs. I do have high quality lamb dog food(no fillers, corn, wheat or soy) does anyone know if I could mash that with water and give it to him? I gave him a tiny bit of parrot formula and then realized you're not supposed to feed them that. whooops.

And apparently wildlife rehabbers don't normally take starlings since they are an invasive species and are in open season all year round. :(

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I think the best thing for it would be for you to handfeed it, or someone else to handfeed it. I think it is probably too late to put it back in the nest, I found a baby blue jay when I was 10 that wasn't injured but it had fallen out of the nest so I put it back. I watched it for a few days but the parents stopped taking care of it. This was before I knew how to handfeed otherwise I would have raised it myself.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
I am trying to hand feed him, just want to make sure I give him the right thing before I make a mistake I can't reverse.

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
I know the rehab center I worked at wasn't allowed to take invasive species, but we usually still did and just didn't report them (speaking of rehab centers filled with people to have choice words about). Have you looked for any lone rehabbers who aren't affiliated with your local center?

I'm not really sure if an all-meat diet is good for him. Starlings normally eat grains and insects, I think. Or more commonly, leftover french fries from the dumpster behind McDonalds. I actually feed my starlings a corn-based chick feed. So perhaps a lower-quality dog food that DOES have some fillers like that would actually be better for it. it'd also probably appreciate some live mealworms.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
I don't know of any private rehabbers but I can look. I don't have a problem caring for him if I can figure out how to do it. The site I'm using seems to be the best one because all of the other sites just link to this one, it has a section about keeping pet starlings and they even suggest dog food as a large part of the diet saying that they need high levels of protein and insects alone aren't good for them. I really have no idea, I've always left wild birds in the wild.

Baby Starling Care: precise information on caring for wild baby birds

charliesmommy

Mar 24, 2012
Media
Albums
Naples, Florida
Parrots
Charlie:my blue Indian ring neck and Twiggy, a grey cockatiel.
What about birdie formula? Would you be able to get some? The bird shop where I get all of my supplies from has it, and even if they don't sell it they would give me some if I needed it.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
I have parrot formula, I'm feeding 10 babies right now. It says all over the web not to give them parrot formula, that parrots are herbivores and these guys are omnivores that need high levels of protein.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
One of my dogs brought me a baby bird, two years ago. She has a very soft mouth, sweet dog, I had no idea where it came from. I believe it was a sparrow of sorts. It couldn't fly yet so I ground up some of Amigo's pellets, soaked them in a bit of water to make a thick paste. The bird thrived. I had it for about 2 and a half weeks before she/he could fly away. She/he was like Amigo in the sense that she/he would follow me around the yard, land on me and hung around for a couple days before it took off.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
When I was caring for the baby robin I fed parrot formula partially then fed worms, berries and insects.....He used to sit with you if your in the rocking chair, he'll fall asleep while you rock. He went from a featherless chick to a full grown baby. The day he took off we had a horrible storm and I was worried sick and not sure how he did.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Yeah, on one of the other parrot forums I go on, multiple people have pet satrlings and say they make just as great pets/talkers as mynahs do.

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
Could u add extra protein to the formula? Like add peanut butter? or Chic peas? or eggs? I have the formula that is higher in protein would that help? U can also mash up meal worms for added protein? I would just try to add protein to the formula u have and make that work.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
I'm posting from my phone so bare with me. I also have some of the higher protein formula but from what I read its not just the nutrition of the formula that's bad for them, it seems they aren't meant to have liquid food. I have fed him twice so far and I just took some of the dog food and crushed it up and added water until it was soft. The first time I was a bit worried because he didn't want to eat but he eventually got the hang of it. It looks like a starling to me but its pretty big, I've never really seen a starling up close so I'm not sure how big they actually are.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
you did a great thing taking him in :)! would a soft bill hand feeding formula workif you added some protein to it? good luck!

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Meat- and Poultry-Based Pet Food ? Premium Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food, Dog Treats ? EVO Pet Products
I believe this is what we fed baby birds at the rehab center. I know it was dry evo cat food, for sure. We soaked it in water until it was soft but not total mush. Omnivorous passerines also got diced fruits (banana, grape, apple, starfruit, strawberry, pineapple, whatever basically), and, as I said, live mealworms (well, with heads recently chopped off or crushed. they WILL bite babies from the inside otherwise). We would pretty much just stuff their little faces until they shut up.

Adult starlings are about 80g on average, if that helps at all.

Most Reactions