Breeding?

Observer

Jun 9, 2013
NY
Parrots
"Cinnamon" Quaker
Olive Fischer Lovebird
Hello:
I am new to this forum so let me introduce myself; my name is Observer. I have two birds as of today (a cinnamon quaker and an olive Fischer). I started with a peach faced lovebird, who died of old age. Best bird I ever owned.
As mentioned previously, I have an olive Fischer lovebird whom I handfed. For some reason this bird was and still is an agressive one. I thought of selling the bird, but then I thought to myself "why not breed them?". So my questions to you guys are:
a) Does anyone here know of a certified avian vet in NY (within the five boroughs) that one would recommended? (Need to sex the bird before I find a mate)
b) I've tried looking up mutations, but I don't understand any of the "breeding" color coding :confused: So my questions are: 1. What would you mate an olive Fischer with? 2. What would I get if I mix my olive Fischer lovebird with an mauve lovebird?

Thanks in advance! Excuse my grammar for I'm using a small screen :09:

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
as you know, genetics can and is quite complex, and some charts are down right confusing.

there are some user friendly genetic charts on the web, you just have to keep searching.
here is some info on Olive Fischers, which is some good basic advice.

I have provided a link as well :)

Olive Fischer’s have a double dark factor that gives them their beautiful olive colour. A breeder should never breed two double dark factor birds together as the result is a very small and weak bird.

Fischers can be successfully bred with any of the other three eye-ring lovebirds: Nyasa, Masked, and Black-Cheeked. While it is possible for eye-ringed lovebirds to breed with lovebird species without the rings, it is highly frowned upon because not only are the babies infertile, but they are susceptible to major health issues.

Fischer's Lovebird (Fischeri)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Yep, Center For Avian & Exotic Medicine.....it's in the 500 block of Columbus Ave, a friend of mine lives on Central Park West & uses them.....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Handfeeding your own does not mean they will be bonded to you! I encounter that every so often with a baby that absolutely hates me. Usually boys never been girls yet....

How old is your Lovebird??? You do know you could do DNA sexing right?

OP
O

Observer

Jun 9, 2013
NY
Parrots
"Cinnamon" Quaker
Olive Fischer Lovebird
Thank you guys for your help! Greatly appreciate it.

@MikeyTN- My lovebird is a year old with a couple of months. Btw, what do you mean by "You do know you could do DNA sexing right?"

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
I think he means that there are companies that you can ship a feather or blood sample(taken from the nail quick)to and they give you the results.

OP
O

Observer

Jun 9, 2013
NY
Parrots
"Cinnamon" Quaker
Olive Fischer Lovebird
Thanks for the clarification sssaucey.

Do you, or anyone else on the forum, know of such website or companies? I've come across one, ACCU-METRICS.COM. The only problem is are they reliable, haha.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Never used Accu-Metrics, but have used Avian Biotech and they were accurate.....I would be inclined to think that if these companies weren't accurate, they wouldn't still be in business.....

Avianbiotech.com - Avian Sexing Center

Most Reactions

Latest posts