OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
When you think of all of the possibilities for damage, having the power off is "nothing" in comparison. Glad it's all over. Have they forecast more rain? Doesn't the rain usually hang around afterwards?

Have you heard from your friends who were right in the "firing line"? Did they come out ok?

Yep having the power off is only a slight problem. But it is still things, like being able to cook, wash, just the everyday things that still need to happen. The only rain they are forecasting is afternoon storms and showers. Usually to the north of a cyclone does not get that much rain after the event.

I have not heard from the friends. The phone lines are down and since they live over 2 hours away and we are not allowed to travel in the roads, makes it hard to check. They are sensible and will be alright. They may have evacuated prior to the storm hitting. The cyclone ended up hitting slightly to the right of them but it still packed a punch.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
But it is still things, like being able to cook, wash, just the everyday things that still need to happen.
Oh, it's a major pain in the neck and could be very difficult for many who really need it for medical equipment and the like, and having to run a generator is a huge inconvenience (if you've even got one and know how to use it).

I understand that it's a big thing, it's just that for those of us here in oz where we've had Ash Wednesday, and Tracey, and, and, and it is such a relief to hear that the roof isn't off, or a tree didn't fall on your house, or anybody hurt or killed. It still must be awful for you guys having to endure no power (I have trouble with minor blackouts, my whole word runs on electricity). I hope the people who can't ride it out have all the help they need. As the PM declared it a disaster, they should be sending workers in to get things back to normal ASAP. No doubt the emergency services know the priorities to work on first. Hopefully restoring the power and opening the roads won't take too long. Hopefully if you aren't allowed to use the roads, everybody's got enough food and water to tide them over.

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
They have started to open most roads. They have been working since yesterday afternoon to clear them. They have just in the last 20mins restored power to the water treatment facility so this means water for those with out it. Hopefully power comes tomorrow. It's getting food etc to people. The power has now been off for 24 hours with 35 plus degree temps today. So food is going off but there is nothing open to get food. If you have the food, there is limited ways to cook. If you have a bbq, which I guess a large percentage of Aussies do. You should be at lease able to manage something.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Hopefully everybody grabbed enough non-perishables to tide them over. Once they get the roads open, they might deliver some emergency supplies for those in need?

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Yep that is the plan. Get the water going, get power to the supermarkets so new foods can be brought in and then power the homes etc. All the hospitals etc have power now. Things are looking up - still a long way to go but we will get there.

Robin

Apr 26, 2014
Media
Mass.
Parrots
Sun Conure
There is no place left to put the snow! I'll put Braxy on his new play gym and try and get a snow pic in the background! Tomorrow is supposed to be record cold, it does indeed feel like Antartica!

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Yay!!!!! We have power.

It was just on 96 hours without power and 3 of the hotest days of the year. We went from 200 km per hour winds on Friday to no wind at all for 3 days. It has been so hot at night and trying to sleep was just impossible. I am so glad and thankful that they have restored out power. I just love our energy provider right now. :D

The community has come together to support one another. There are so many donation stations, community events etc. The information from the police, local government, the energy provider has been amazing.

If any one is interested in seeing some of the photos of the damage that Mother Nature can inflict, please just google tropical cyclone Marcia, rockhampton 20 Feb 2015.

EDIT: I was wanted to say thank you to you all here for giving support during such a scary and trying time. It is great to know that you have another family in the ones here at PF.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Amanda, I am so glad that your power is finally back on! That is such a long time to go without power, especially during that kind of heat. I googled it, and the pictures are terrifying of the damage left behind. I am so glad that y'all are okay, and that everyone is pulling together to help each other through this.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Amanda, I am so glad to hear the power is back on and you've come through it all! I really feel for you, no power and the hottest days of the year in Australia :eek:. I'm so glad you're all okay.

Most Reactions