Bringing home a handreared bird

TukiTheConure

Apr 4, 2018
Hi there, sorry if this is in the wrong forum as Iā€™m new here.
Iā€™m going to get a GCC in 2 days and Iā€™m super excited :), however, I donā€™t know , when I bring it home, if I should just leave it to take in itā€™s new environment or start interacting with it. Iā€™ve seen videos of both and both worked fine however Iā€™m not sure on which method I should take. (Btw the bird is handreared) thanks so much and Iā€™ll be posting some pics when I get Tuki!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hello, Welcome & Congratulations!! Very exciting indeed!

Gail listed two great threads. Start with Tips for Bonding & Building Trust.
I wish I knew about that thread when I brought my Levi home!!

Best of luck to you both and please post pictures. :heart:

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Honestly, just listen to your new baby. If you bring him home and he seems ready to come out and interact with you right away, then by all means, don't leave him locked in his cage for an "adjustment period" just because "they" say to do so.

However, if he seems nervous an overwhelmed, then it isn't going to hurt to let him settle in for a day or even a few before you start asking him to come out and join in the family activities. Just make sure that if you allow him to settle in, you still spend time everyday sitting next to his cage talking to him, reading to him, even offering him treats if he's willing to take them. Settling in does not mean ignoring.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
as said above, go with what he is comfortable with. Personally I would leave him be in the cage for say an hour or so after initially getting him in just so everyone can take a moment to calm, but afterwards see how he is with you approaching the cage or offering a treat, just go with what he feels comfortable doing :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts