Old GCC Jealous of New Bird

FlyingLily

Nov 5, 2023
Parrots
Two Green Cheek Conures
I got a second green cheek conure a couple of months ago and the dynamics have shifted between my old GCC and me. Below is whatā€™s going on:
  • My old bird is a 16 year old GCC (M) that was rehomed to me a year ago.
  • My new GCC (M) is only about 5 months old. Iā€™ve had him for about a couple of months now.
  • They are housed separately though when Iā€™m home I let them both out of their cage at the same time.
  • The two birds get along and it seems at times they are very bonded. They like to eat and cuddle together, as well as preen each other.
  • Believe it or not, my new bird likes to boss my old bird around! He chases him and will take food away from him. This doesnā€™t happen constantly, maybe a couple times a day. The other times they get along fine.
  • My new bird loves me very much. He likes to be near me and flies to me all the time. Heā€™s wonderful!
  • My old bird used to be lovey and cuddle with me. He would step up if I asked him to. Every so often (maybe once every few months) he would get in these ā€˜moodsā€™ and be nippy. Once those few days are over heā€™d return back to normal.
  • My old bird is now very avoidant and nippy towards me. Itā€™s like heā€™s turned into another bird!

Itā€™s like my old bird is jealous and doesnā€™t like it when my new bird and I interact. But he never attacks my new bird, only me! My vet says it could be my old bird is jealous and taking his anger out at me. But if this is the case, why is he lovey towards my new bird? Does my old bird want my new bird all to himself and sees me as a third wheel? It makes me sad that I lost the relationship I had with my older bird. If he never warms up to me again I would be disappointed but just glad the two birds get along.

Thanks in advance for your guys help!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
No suggestions, sorry. But this is just one of the many ways adding a new parrot to your flock can go. Its always a crap shoot how it will turn out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts