Bringing home Oliver today

Tammie

Aug 25, 2016
Ok. I have the cage all set up, toys, food, and gave been visiting him everyday as he was being hand raised and weaned. So after he comes home, sand settles in, how often should we have him out of cage for play and how often? I know these are very social little parrots, but I'm sure they like their quiet time too. And I am a teacher so go back to work September 6 from 8:30 AM to 3:45 so I am just trying to figure out his actual " hands on" attention needs and figure out a schedule for myself to meet them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! :rainbow1:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, I'm so excited for you! I would get him used to what your schedule will be when school starts. I work from home, and mine get their time out in the mornings and evenings. After he is home, you can figure out what works best for you, and for him:) What time is he coming home? Please share pictures!!

OP
Tammie

Tammie

Aug 25, 2016
Thank you. I will be picking him up about 11:00 or so this morning, sewing up some loose ends so everything is perfect! He is hand raised, so he has been socialized and I don't want to loose his tame nature. Just want to do all this the right way. This is my most expensive venture as far as a pet, so I want to make no mistakes. How long should out of cage time be? When I hear they need much interaction I think" all day, everyday". Lol!! Of course pictures will be posted as soon as we are home and settled. Thank you.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
The main thing is to get him used to how much time you will have...I think it's harder on them when they get used to a lot of time, and then the amount of time drops that you have to spend. The key is finding a happy balance:)
I don't have a caique, but I understand that they need quite a bit of attention. Hoping someone who has one can help you better with that part:)

OP
Tammie

Tammie

Aug 25, 2016
Thank you. He has plenty of those!!! Lol!

OP
Tammie

Tammie

Aug 25, 2016
Can't figure out how to post pics. Can upload it but it won't attach to reply.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 88

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome Oliver! He's a gorgeous baby! Nice cage and set up! Congrats!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Oliver is adorable!!How is he settling in?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I got the Rbird when I was in college, and had tons of time with him all day. When I went to work and had various schedule changes and time limitations, I just tried to make sure that every day, I spent a predictable amount of time with him, at the same time(s), no matter what, even if it was much less time than he was used to. Every time I changed jobs, I did the same thing. Somehow we made it, and I'm now retired and back to lots of available time. I think the key has been predictability and his perception that he could rely on me, no matter how little time I might have overall.
Good luck!

OP
Tammie

Tammie

Aug 25, 2016
Thank you. He is settling in nicely. He has known me now for almost a month as I would visit him 2xs a day morning and evening at the bird nursery, so he is comfortable with me. He has come out and ride around in my shoulder today while straightening out bedroom, and he is a silly bird. He is finding his toys to be entertaining while I am very cautious not to carry him with me around the dogs so back on or in the cage he goes until I comeback into the room. He has been what I thought was eating but mostly wasting food. He is eating but a lot he just throws on the floor of cage so I don't know if he isn't interested in that piece of veggie/ fruit, nut, or seed or just being a brat. And I see I WAS able to post picture!!! Yay! Sideways but yay!!!! Lol!

Most Reactions