Brucie's ill again :(

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
My poor brucie baby is ill again, his flying is suffering and we think he's got his lung infection back, perhaps it didn't clear up before with his antibiotics+fungals (he was given a full course for both). Ive just been sat here in tears setting up the smaller cage again for him and stopping him from crashing into much more stuff.

I just don't know what to do... if this keeps up and he keeps getting worse... do I get him put to sleep or just keep him struggling, fighting for flight and taking longer to recover... because if it is an infection that has come back then it just will keep coming back...

I just don't know, going to ring the vet tomorrow for an over the phone consultation perhaps, or ring monday and get booked in for asap.

I just wanna do whats best for my Brucie boy, I don't want to see him suffer but if nothing more can be done... would anyone agree that being pts is the best option...?

Sorry for the ramblings. :(

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
it comes down to quality of life, in my mind, only you can make that choice an fingers cross for brucie

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
After I put him in the small cage, he fluffed up, chattered and went on his favourite swing. He is /happy/ but... I just don't know how much pain he might be in, them being fantastic at hiding that sort of thing.

I will be seeing the vet asap and asking his opinon, as he did improve sooo much last time. But I'll see about what he says about possibly getting bruce put to sleep if he declines again... or doesn't improve.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I hope all goes will with your Brucie (love that). Your vet will know what to do for him. I hope that whatever he has can be cleared up with drugs and good care. If not it takes great courage to be able to assess when quality of life is poor and to be able to make the needed decision for him not to suffer anymore.

I am encouraged that you wrote Bruce seems happy and is chattering and using his swing. He is NOT on the bottom of the cage labor breathing so to me that is good news. Please keep us updated so we can be there for you.

We have two english budgies that are males. They live in the same cage and each have their own personality. They sure worm their way into your heart and I would be devastated if anything happened to our little boys.

our prayers are with you.

Noblemacaw

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I hope all goes will with your Brucie (love that). Your vet will know what to do for him. I hope that whatever he has can be cleared up with drugs and good care. If not it takes great courage to be able to assess when quality of life is poor and to be able to make the needed decision for him not to suffer anymore.

I am encouraged that you wrote Bruce seems happy and is chattering and using his swing. He is NOT on the bottom of the cage labor breathing so to me that is good news. Please keep us updated so we can be there for you.

We have two english budgies that are males. They live in the same cage and each have their own personality. They sure worm their way into your heart and I would be devastated if anything happened to our little boys.

our prayers are with you.

Noblemacaw

I've so many reasons that Bruce is my 'favourite' budgie - his personality is fantastic, he's such a sweet little boy and he's the only link to Wonsy I've got left. He's asleep now, but he is behaving perfectly normal asides from the bad flying due to muscle wastage, caused by not being able to breath properly so not flying anymore... etc.

Will keep everyone updated on what the vet says, and Brucie's progress/outcome. Thanks guys, means a lot.

Heres a picture of him being a menace, taken about 2 years ago. :)

32494_10150172959330508_860450507_12565432_6493125_n.jpg

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Got an appointment for him at 10 to 4 tomorrow, parents are gonna come and pick me up and take me there since it's a 2 1/2 hour bus ride away. yey. Will let you know what happens.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Because Bruce is going through a molt atm, the immune system is lowered and so basically made him really vulnerable to any of the bacteria/fungus that was still in his air sacs. So it has flared up, the vet said for me to put him on the meds he was on last time, work with him again and by the end of his molt&meds he should be fine.

&she told me to be somewhat prepared for this each time he has a molt. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts