Budgie diet conversion!

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
Elvis, Olive and Turtle have been eating brown rice, seeds, and pellets (occasionally, because they're so picky and hate the pellets we're currently buying, but the bag ain't empty yet) but I have been trying to get them to eat more stuff. I have been trying to feed them sliced carrots for a VERY long time, but they never liked it. A few days ago I chopped them up in a food processor and like magic... they love it. Their tiny beaks are orange, their poop is now orange... they LOVE carrots.
I was just wondering if there's a limit to how much carrots I should be feeding them, and any ideas for what veggies I should try next.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Isn’t it so rewarding when they finally try something you’ve been wanting them to eat for ages!

I feed carrots daily in my birds chop, I think if you try presenting a new veg mixed in with the carrots, they’ll eat that too.
My budgies will eat every veg, any dark leafy greens, sweet potato (steamed), zucchini, butternut squash (steamed), Brussels sprouts etc.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Budgies are very individual birds and you will probably find that some will like certain foods more than others.
In general organic foods are fine for them but there are some foods that you shouldn't feed them. Perhaps do a Google search and find a list

Most Reactions

Latest posts