Rice

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
I recently started feeding my budgies rice in an effort to wean them off of seeds and it's working great. They love rice!
We buy organic brown rice from a rice farmer, and it's the best rice money can buy.
Rice has a lot of carbs, though, so how much should I be feeding them?
I've started mixing in chopped veggies to get them to try it, but it hasn't been very effective so far. :rolleyes:

Also I just wanted to mention it if someone else had a hard time getting their budgies to eat good.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
idk portions but you can always try birdstreet bistro bird food, that helped me wean both my cockatiel and green cheek onto chop.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I recently started feeding my budgies rice in an effort to wean them off of seeds and it's working great. They love rice!
We buy organic brown rice from a rice farmer, and it's the best rice money can buy.
Rice has a lot of carbs, though, so how much should I be feeding them?
I've started mixing in chopped veggies to get them to try it, but it hasn't been very effective so far. :rolleyes:

Also I just wanted to mention it if someone else had a hard time getting their budgies to eat good.
I mix rice into my budgies fresh and frozen vegetable chop, (plus other grain and bean based things) and she loves it. Easy to eat, tastes great. I prepare the chop in a handheld blender so everything is really fine and I think that helps with budgies. The frozen vegetables are soft and Rocky likes that.

Most Reactions