Budgie health concern! HELP!

sammmy

May 7, 2014
Canada
Parrots
1 Cinnamon Conure
Hatched November 26, 2013
Hi there,
I just got a call from my brothers work to come in and check out their 4 year old parakeet for what they thought may be a hurt leg.
I work with animals for a living and am currently in school for veterinary technician. I know I am not a vet, but it is Sunday and there is no vets open that have avian doctors.

I did a quick exam and look over on the bird, his feet are both responsive and he will grab my fingers with both feet. I felt up where his leg meets his body and I didn't feel any dislocation (although I know it's pretty difficult, I have felt a dislocated parakeet leg before)

As I was holding him I noticed an excessive amount of saliva in his mouth and his tongue was very very busy trying to push it out, I tipped him towards the ground and got a lot of fluid to drain. I immediately listened to his breathing and although not constant there is a clicking sound.

The poor bird is just laying on the bottom of the cage so I put in a small towel and brought his food and water down to ground level.

I was thinking it may be a upper respiratory infection or something of that nature.

If anyone has any suggestion or ways to help this little guy feel more comfortable until we can see a vet tomorrow morning please advise me!!!
(The birds actual owner is on holidays and they don't want to lose him while he's gone)

OP
sammmy

sammmy

May 7, 2014
Canada
Parrots
1 Cinnamon Conure
Hatched November 26, 2013
Unfortunately the bird passed shortly after I made the post :(

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that:(

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
How sad. I'm so sorry.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Oh no :( I wonder what the accident was? I'm so sorry :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Sorry to hear!!!! Unfortunately when they show symptoms of being ill is when they're really really ill and needs treatment ASAP. They get weak and lays on the bottom of the cage, it have nothing to do with dislocated legs or anything. Whenever that does happen, heat is important!!! Setup a hospital cage right away and cover all sides with a blanket and place a heat lamp on the cage to keep them warm. Hydration is very important as well if your able to get them to drink. When they get to that stage, there's only so much you can do. Sorry about the loss!!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts