Budgie needs a friend?

Isablahblah

Apr 1, 2012
Help Budgie needs a friend

So I have a Budgie that my friend got me 2 months ago from a pet store after my GCC died. Now I am not 100% sure the sex since they told my friend it was only 8 weeks. But I did decide to call her Lucy. Anyways, now I think she needs a friend since I am not home a lot since I have an internship. I was able to to tame her (not easy but I did it :D). I was thinking of getting a hand tamed bird, but not sure what would be a good match. Any ideas of what I should get and how about to go on the whole introduction? Thanks you guys! :blue2:

Attachments

• Lucy 1.jpg
    Lucy 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Lucy 2.jpg
    Lucy 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 429
  • Lucy 3.jpg
    Lucy 3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
Budgies love company. I would get her another budgie friend. I have always keep them in two or more. It doesn't matter if it the same sex or not. They love to have some one their own size. The only thing if you bring another budgie in its best to keep them apart for a few days to make sure all is well with the new one. Many people give them a mirror and think that will keep them company but I don't think so. Once they are in the cage together they normally make friends pretty fast. I have never had one not like their new room mate and been keeping them for over 40 years as my mum and gran did. Looks like that's a nice size cage from what I can tell.
Keep an eye on the nose if it starts to turn blue your be changing it name lol.

OP
I

Isablahblah

Apr 1, 2012
That is what I am so confused about. I can see some hints of blue on the edges but then most of her nose is almost white with dominant white ring around the nostrils

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
Sounds like you might have a little guy. It takes some time for the blue to come through. A female can be pink or shades of purple almost.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
You picked a good name because she's a girl :) females will have white rings and large nostrils, baby boys have pink ceres and noticeably smaller nostrils. I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I wouldn't get another budgie as a cagemate. Two lone females are likely to fight when reaching maturity and a male and a female are capable of breeding. Aside from that, if she is tame caging her with another bird will most likely undo all of that hard work. If you really want a friend for her I would get another but give them their own cages, they can still play with each other but they will have their own cage to call home when they get sick of one another. Even if you don't have a ton of time to spend with her I'm sure you can manage to at least play with her a bit each day, even if its just walking around the house with her on your shoulder or while your watching tv or at the computer. If there's one thing I've learned, it doesn't really matter what you're doing, as long as they can do it with you they are happy :)

Most Reactions