Budgie not interacting ?

Abi.and.amber

Jul 19, 2023
Parrots
Amber the pineapple conure
Harry the parakeet
Lily the parakeet(R.I.P)
My budgie Harry is around 4 years old. We got him from petsmart when we barely knew about where to get birds. Amber the conure is hand fed, and raised by a breeder, so she’s not scared to interact with us, cuddle, or let us touch her. But Harry is scared of us, and he’ll only stand on our hand or arm when Amber is also with him.
Harry follows Amber everywhere, and they get along pretty well. Whenever Amber is cuddling with us, or pretty much doing anything with us, Harry always watches from the side, but most of the time he doesn’t get closer.
Is there a way to get him to trust us more, or be more affectionate with us? Or is it never going to change, because he wasn’t raised like Amber?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums! How long have you had Harry?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
When the room is completely dark, not total but really really dim... can you put your hand in the cage and pet? or is it panic?

OP
Abi.and.amber

Abi.and.amber

Jul 19, 2023
Parrots
Amber the pineapple conure
Harry the parakeet
Lily the parakeet(R.I.P)
When the room is completely dark, not total but really really dim... can you put your hand in the cage and pet? or is it panic?
He doesn't let us pet him at all. At 9:30 pm, we'd put blankets on top of both of our birds' cages, and they'll go to sleep. He just avoids our hand if we try to get close to him(unless if Amber is with us).

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I would say give it time, birds learn from other birds more than from silly apes. Offer millet to Amber while on you then offer to budgie very slowly. if they turn away then stop and go back to giving to Amber. Give it time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts