Will my pineapple conure remember me after two months?

Abi.and.amber

Jul 19, 2023
Parrots
Amber the pineapple conure
Harry the parakeet
Lily the parakeet(R.I.P)
Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum, hope to get to know some of you and your birds! :)

But anyway, me and my family have been in China for the past 6 weeks, and we left Amber(our pineapple conure) and Harry(our parakeet) in a professional foster home for the time we’re gone. The lady taking care of our birds is super professional, and our birds have lots of friends in their temporary home to keep them company. Harry even made a new friend!
I miss our birds every single day that we’re gone, and we’ll see them in about a week. But I’m scared that they won’t remember or like us we’re back. Amber has always been super affectionate and loves us, even though she’s a bit grumpy, but I’m just not too sure. And Harry always refuses to cuddle us. The most he’ll do is stand on our arms and shoulders. Do conures and parakeets remember their “flock” after 2 months, and will they still resume normal activities with us?

I hope to see some of your thoughts, and I’m happy to be here :)

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
I assure you they will still remember you! There is a chance that they might be a bit grumpy or less bonded with you when you get back, but it wouldn't take too long to build it back up I think! Parrots have very good memories, so there hopefully won't be much of an issue when you get back, and they'll just get excited! This is just my way of thinking though, I've never actually have been in a situation where I've had to be away from Titan for over a week, so someone more experienced with this might have a different answer!

Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
Okra: Yellow-chevroned parakeet
Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum, hope to get to know some of you and your birds! :)

But anyway, me and my family have been in China for the past 6 weeks, and we left Amber(our pineapple conure) and Harry(our parakeet) in a professional foster home for the time we’re gone. The lady taking care of our birds is super professional, and our birds have lots of friends in their temporary home to keep them company. Harry even made a new friend!
I miss our birds every single day that we’re gone, and we’ll see them in about a week. But I’m scared that they won’t remember or like us we’re back. Amber has always been super affectionate and loves us, even though she’s a bit grumpy, but I’m just not too sure. And Harry always refuses to cuddle us. The most he’ll do is stand on our arms and shoulders. Do conures and parakeets remember their “flock” after 2 months, and will they still resume normal activities with us?

Oh they will remember you for sure. Some birds can remember for years! Depending on your birds personality they might be delighted when you return or very bitey. Some birds carry resentment over you leaving but will eventually mellow out.

OP
Abi.and.amber

Abi.and.amber

Jul 19, 2023
Parrots
Harry the parakeet
Lily the parakeet(R.I.P)
Oh they will remember you for sure. Some birds can remember for years! Depending on your birds personality they might be delighted when you return or very bitey. Some birds carry resentment over you leaving but will eventually mellow out.
Thank you! Amber may be angry with us for a bit but I think she’ll lose the attitude quickly.

OP
Abi.and.amber

Abi.and.amber

Jul 19, 2023
Parrots
Harry the parakeet
Lily the parakeet(R.I.P)
I assure you they will still remember you! There is a chance that they might be a bit grumpy or less bonded with you when you get back, but it wouldn't take too long to build it back up I think! Parrots have very good memories, so there hopefully won't be much of an issue when you get back, and they'll just get excited! This is just my way of thinking though, I've never actually have been in a situation where I've had to be away from Titan for over a week, so someone more experienced with this might have a different answer!
I’m glad to know that they have great memories :) thank you!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

It's great that you were able to get a pro to take care of them. Unless they were chicks when you left, they will remember you. I sometimes think that, like elephants, they don't forget anything.
Also, it's a rare budgie that likes to cuddle.

OP
Abi.and.amber

Abi.and.amber

Jul 19, 2023
Parrots
Harry the parakeet
Lily the parakeet(R.I.P)
It's great that you were able to get a pro to take care of them. Unless they were chicks when you left, they will remember you. I sometimes think that, like elephants, they don't forget anything.
Also, it's a rare budgie that likes to cuddle.
Amber is 2 years old and Harry is 4 years old! They have been with us ever since they were born, so I think that’s good haha

Most Reactions

Latest posts