Budgie progress & Bird room

Tish

Apr 7, 2018
Progress
I've had Venus and Egg for about four months now. I had started to come to the realization that some parrots just are not able to be tamed, but recently both of their attitudes have had a 180. When I was doing some target training Venus decided to crawl up my arm and chew on my collar and started to coo very softly, Egg soon followed. This made me nervous because Venus has had freak outs before which ended up with her clinging to the curtains until she calmed down enough for me to move her back to her cage. I am very happy about their progress but is their anyway to prevent any future freakouts?
Bird room
I have started to clear out a storage room to be turned into the bird room. The problem is that some of the stuff in there is not able to rid of yet. Will I still be able to move them in there with boxes in the corner, or will a crowded room make things more stressful? I don't want to make moving rooms too stressful and I would appreciate any tips on moving them. If they are able to be moved would putting their favorite toys on a play stand for them help them get used to being more comfortable out of their cage?

I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this and provide help, best wishes.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
My living room is a complete and utter mess - so my opinion is that parrots can get used to almost everything (it's a jungle in here) the only one being wiserable about it seems to be me!
(they just play hide and seek a lot!)
So I do not think a few boxes would bother your birds (they may like to try to demoslish them of course... cardboard is yummy!).

Freakouts will (try to) occur- but if you get sensitive to the warming signals you may be able to head them off before the fullblown explosion takes place.
Getting your birds used to lots of differnt things (desensitizing) may take some time, but it can be done.

The more 'experience' they have (and trust in you) the smaller the chance it happens.
(But it will never be zero! Only stuffed parrots are completely predictable.)

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I would not move them to a "Bird Room" or any other room but whatever room of your house that you spend most of your time in when you're home; Since you're in the process of trying to hand-tame Budgies who were not hand-raised nor tamed, the best thing you can do is make sure that their main cage or cages is located in whatever room of your home that you and any others members of your household spend their time when they're home. Usually this is the living room, family room, den, TV room, etc. The more your Budgies are simply in your presence, or the presence of people, the more quickly and successfully their taming will go. Non-tame Budgies can literally take well over a year or more to hand-tame, but it's never impossible. But even if you're not paying them any direct-attention, the fact that they are just located in the same room as you while you are watching TV, reading, playing a video game, eating, cooking, etc., will not only desensitize them to people and you in-general, but it will also strengthen your bond with them every single day, and it will also teach them to better entertain themselves inside of their cages.

What you tend to find is that most people who have a problem with their birds "screaming" all the time have their birds main-cage located in a back-room, spare bedroom, "bird room", etc., and they don't let their birds out whenever they are home. So their birds can hear people/them who are home, they know they are home, but they can't see them, and this makes them uncomfortable, angry, anxious, etc. But if their cage is located in whatever room the people of the house spend most of their time together, and they can simply see their people and know that they are right there, they tend to feel more comfortable, safe, secure, etc. and then start to happily entertain themselves inside of their cages. But still, in your situation because you are right in the middle of trying to hand-tame two non-tame Budgies, you want them in the presence of people, specifically you, as much as they possibly can be, even if that simply means people walking past their cage a lot, talking to them across the room, hearing the TV, etc. And don't worry about them not sleeping due to noise/lights from the TV, stereo, talking, etc., you simply have to cover their cage at bedtime with a dark-colored sheet/blanket and they'll happily sleep without an issue.

Most Reactions

Latest posts