budgies broke theyre first egg..

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
backstory:

my mavis and coco and prolly the most smart of the whole flock relaxed and laid back birds they decided to breed so i decided to put in a nest box to help them out everything looked fine male budgie helping with the nest etc etc however today mavis the male is full of energy he went into the nestbox i assumed he was going to clean the nest or build it idk after a few hours i decided to look and the egg the only atm was broken... what could be the reason behind this ?i give them twice a week egg food and they have enough calcium

OP
Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
im suspecting it was the male who broke the egg since he was to wild in the nest box what should i do seperate the male and wait for her to lay all her eggs? i decided to wait a week to see how it works if they keep breaking the eggs im gonna purchase fake eggs to stop he egg laying.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Young males for want ever reason do not always understand that caution is needed. May need to keep him separate for a day or so. But, one of our Breeders will be better able to advise.

OP
Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
so 3 eggs in and they broke all 3 really dont know what to do at this moment

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Amsterdam, some birds, like some people, just are not cut out to be parents I'm afraid!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
My budgies (which aren't longer with us) probably ate their 1st egg because we saw it and disapeared. The next egg we saw 4 days later. So we think they ate 2 their first eggs but the 2nd one we didn't notice. With next eggs they stoped doing this and hatched a little budgie. Sorry, I can't help, I just wrote my a bit simillar experience.

OP
Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Sep 8, 2018
Turkey
Parrots
My budgies (which aren't longer with us) probably ate their 1st egg because we saw it and disapeared. The next egg we saw 4 days later. So we think they ate 2 their first eggs but the 2nd one we didn't notice. With next eggs they stoped doing this and hatched a little budgie. Sorry, I can't help, I just wrote my a bit simillar experience.

thanks Roza they ate the first 2 and the 3rd is being sit on so i hope they will stop eating them

Most Reactions