budgies talk?

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
i had my bird for almost a month, thinking he was a lovie. then someone told me my profile pic was a budgie, so now my lovebird is a budgie. i felt like an ass not knowing that till now:eek: well i started my research all over again, and i discovered budgies can speak..... its supposed to be rare, though.... i think my budgie is still too small to try, but im excited!!:D do any of your budgies talk?? tel me how you taught them, i really wanna try!! thanks!:greenyellow:

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
I think that it's not rare for them to speak, as much as rare for them to be good at it. But perhaps it's rare to talk, period.

You have a very pretty budgie. Ours don't talk, but they pretty noises, haha. How friendly is yours? Ours are very wild, and well... Those beaks can hurt! Hehe.

Last edited:

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Ours talks, about 6-8 words- and learned them very quickly, but as part of a mixed flock, he then preferred to learn the calls of the other birds.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
From what I've read, males are more likely to talk "people" than females. Talking budgies are quite common over here, I think, but they won't talk "people" if they've got budgies to talk "budgie" to.

How old is your bird? Do you know yet whether he is a boy? You teach them by repeating the same thing over and over.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
i had my bird for almost a month, thinking he was a lovie. then someone told me my profile pic was a budgie, so now my lovebird is a budgie. i felt like an ass not knowing that till now:eek: well i started my research all over again, and i discovered budgies can speak..... its supposed to be rare, though.... i think my budgie is still too small to try, but im excited!!:D do any of your budgies talk?? tel me how you taught them, i really wanna try!! thanks!:greenyellow:

Cassie, some older people in Australia call budgies lovebirds, so you aren't entirely incorrect. I have no idea why the terminology is present in India also, perhaps a legacy of British English :)

QuakerMom

Jun 21, 2013
USA
Parrots
One Quaker- Piper
Cassie, your budgie looks like a male. I tried clicking on your picture to see if it would make the pic bigger but it just went to your profile, haha.

He's beautiful!

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I have an 8year old male budgie and he has never spoken. He's very chirpy and always has lots to say at the wild birds outside. He also has solo arias in his cage in the middle of the night :). But speaking, nope.

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
Budgies can easily talk if you spend enough time talking to it. I had a budgie when I was 7 or so and I could never get him to talk though.

Btw he looked just like yours and I named her Windy because she looked like the sky. My cousin had a white budgie and named her Cloudy. And my grandfather had a yellow budgie and named her Sunny. :)

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Look at disco the parakeet on YouTube. The Guinness book of world records holder for talking was a budgie.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Look at disco the parakeet on YouTube. The Guinness book of world records holder for talking was a budgie.

I heard that Budgies are in the top five of talking birds. I really think people underestimate their intelligence and ability to be a great pet, in comparison to a larger bird. I hear if you work with them, you would be surprised how much personality and intelligence is in such a little package.

I would love to get a Budgie one of these days.

Disco is awesome and he was even on the Today Show. However, I don't think people should expect their Budgie to talk as good as Disco, and some might not talk at all. That doesn't mean they can't be a great pet though.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Cassie, your budgie looks like a male. I tried clicking on your picture
I don't think her avatar photo is her bird, Bamboo. In the other thread, she said that she'd found a stock image of a bird that looks like her Bamboo because she didn't yet have a photo. That's where the confusion came in as to whether she had a budgie or the "other" lovebird, because it wasn't a photo of her bird but one who looked similar.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
I love parakeets - i love that they are smaller, and I love that their patterns can be so varied, and I love that they come in so many colors, and that they are relatively easy to care for. They have so much going for them no wonder that they are so popular (well... it helps that they are also so reasonably priced).

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
hey guys!!! thanks for sharing all that! im not very sure how old bamboo is, because the pet store said he was "medium" years old. the pet store also said he was a male, but i doubt that, because bamboo has a light pinkish-purplish cere. so its either that hes a girl, or maybe hes still too small. and yeah, my profile pic is not really bamboo, but it looks just like him, so you can take it as bamboo....i need to get pics of him real soon!! thanks again, you are all being so nice!! bamboo says thanks, even though the pic isint him!! he dusnt look that good, trust me :p

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
said he was "medium" years old.
What's that supposed to mean? :D If he's young and his cere hasn't coloured up yet, the pet shop may not have a clue whether he's a boy. Because people wanting a "talker" want boys, they might just tell everybody that the budgie they are buying is a boy. Whatever he turns out to be, boy or girl, people-talking or just budgie-talking, he sounds lovely and you obviously love him and have given him a good home.

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
hehe!! yeah, he actually said "hes a medium bird" lol! well i dont think the pet store knows that they can talk. i dont think anyone knows that around here. i got him as a "lovebird" remember?? all the stores around here call them lovebirds

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
yeah, maybe. i actually did ask him to find me a young bird. maybe he dint get it. his english wuz pretty bad :p but i dont see how that can happen. almost all the birds were the same size. budgies dont get big, ive noticed!

wink

Dec 16, 2013
Parrots
My awesome Wink.
My budgie hasn't spoken yet but he has been mimicking lots of sounds that he hears around the house so I guess he'll start talking pretty soon. YYYYYYAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
almost all the birds were the same size. budgies dont get big, ive noticed!
medium as compared to different types of birds (like finches would be small, macaws would be large). Maybe he was just spouting nonsense. :D Anyway, you got a nice little bird despite the assistant's "assistance". :D

Most Reactions