Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I am thinking about creeating a tree stand /playgym for my guys and want some input on the plans I have so far....
I want to use one of those umbrella stands , the kind that you put sand in as the base ...two long pieces of wood, making a large V shape and screwing them together , then building off that , with different perches , ropes , and places to hook toys and put some dishes.
I was thinking of using a plastic catch basin for the bottom.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
That sounds pretty awesome! Would you be going with a shallow type plastic basin and using sand? I've seen some people actually make a wood bottom and apply rolling casters for easy moving. Would yours be stationary? I'd love to do something like this, but for now I've been resticted to what I've got by the boyfriend. His house is just way too small to squeeze anything else into! I can't wait until we move. Hopefully after he graduates and gets his dream job, either locally or after a big move....

Blah, blah!! Anyway, I'd love to hear more and see pics when you've got it all done!

OP
luvmytooo

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Oh yes , I plan on using the casters so its movable , definitely.
The part I was going to put sand in is the umbrella holder that you use outside , it goes undr the table to hold the umbrella . I dont know what its called , Im sure there is a common name for it too , lolol. Then use a plastic basin to catch the poop and stuff. I was going to go to Home Depot or Lowes and check out what they have...
I have so much good wood perches i can use , it would be silly to go buy one , I want to try to make one on my own ( with hubby's help ) and see how it comes out.
My plan is to use all stainless steel hardware ( where ever needed ) and of course birdy safe wood. I have it drawn on paper and it looks good , lololol.
Then I can just imagine getting it built and my guys take it down like a house of cards , lololol.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I see....have a better image in my head now. I think it's actually a much smarter thing to build something like this verses paying the $300+ for someone else to do it.
I'm sure it will come out as nice as it looks in your sketch, and sturdy as well.

Plus, it's nice to do something like this and get that lil boost of pride from your accomplishment!

OP
luvmytooo

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Does anybody have idea if the base I was thinking of using will actually work or am I wasting my time ? lololol.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm sure it would work, but do they even sell umbrella stands anymore? I can't even say the last time I've seen one. Might be able to use a small SS trash can.

OP
luvmytooo

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I'm sure it would work, but do they even sell umbrella stands anymore? I can't even say the last time I've seen one. Might be able to use a small SS trash can.

Well , I will let you know tomorrow , lol.
I'm going to try Home Depot and Lowes. Or I can wait till warmer weather and check out the yard sales , lol.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I go to yard sales and buy old floor lamps with heavy bases.Then attach my perches to the pole part.

OP
luvmytooo

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Actually , that is a great idea henpecked :) My friend made a nice table perch with a old paper towel holder ! It's pretty cool what you can use around the house if you put your mind to it :) I have a old end table , has four legs , so I was thinking of putting wheels on it and using a old serving platter for the base and just connecting a T syle perch through the bottom of the table and serving platter.
Once you get in this "I can make that" mood , you can end up with just about anything , lolol. My husband is following me around the house making sure I dont use things that we actually need , lolol. "I'm just going to look through the attic honey" , I'll be right down" , husband-"oh no" !! lolol.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Just please don't use actual antiques, lol! I don't love antiques as much as animals, but it's kind of close.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I am also attempting to make a tree stand. I actually chainsawed a small tree from my property that had strong branches and trimmed them. I got a huge flower pot to put the tree in and secure it with rocks. All the branches are already on the tree so I don't need any screws....Then I will hang the jolly ball and orbit and toys on it. Ends up being 9 feet tall. Oh and I put it all on a dolly on wheels bought from Lowes, the pretty wood kind you put under flower pots to move them around.

The only thing I haven't figured out is the poop catcher! LOL

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I was going to do the same as you, Echo. I had a small Mulberry tree that died. I should have done it right away though because bugs attacked it.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Under the perches i use pond liner or rubber roofing scraps, you can "weld" short sides on it to contain the mess, i just roll them up and carry outside to hose off.Some folks use the mats that go under office chairs but if you know someone in the landscape/roofing business, they can make you up some nice ones pretty cheap.

Most Reactions

Latest posts