building and stocking an outside aviary

Rrrma

Jul 22, 2010
USA
Parrots
see signature
I'm in the process of building an aviary for my parrots and could use some ideas.

The cage is a 5x15' kennel that I'm modifying with some modular fencing and screening to make it safe for all the different size birds I have.

I could use some ideas on what to stock it with in terms of perching areas and toys, as well as water containers or bowls.

They all drink from water bottles normally so maybe I should stick with that for their drinking but maybe do a basin for bathing or something?

I'd love to hear where you've successfully purchased materials for these outdoor toys and perches. I'm thinking fallen branches from our little forest and hemp rope. Or should I do cotton?

Thanks in advance!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
ooo cool idea using the kennel, I'm using a 5' wide X 10' long dog kennel for my hawk.

I'd recommend collecting natural branches, you can get cool large pieces without paying a high price. Sisal and hemp also make excellent rope branches.

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
I used to raise parakeets in an outdoor aviary (which I still have) but I don't keep parakeets anymore.
I used eucalyptus branches and made large 2' wide swings using wood dowels and small chain in mine.
You can put a bird bath in the center with a large slanted stone in the center. I did this so they could get out (or in) the deepest part of the birdbath.
I put a misting wand, the kind that you can attach to the end of the hose, on an inside wall and they loved playing in the mist on warm days. I cut a small hole in the wire to put the hose through, then to close it I used a 3" square of wire and just bent the corners (depending on how strong your birds are of course) but you could rig something stronger for a larger bird.
I fastened branches to the corners at the top, middle, and near the bottom of the aviary as well as the swings which hung near center.
I used to hang a wild bird feeder someplace in the aviary with food and seed in it, and under that a large flower pot bottom to help contain the waste and make cleaning easier.
I kept a couple of large flowerpot bottoms on the floor of the aviary for any birds that needed seed or gravel & grit & water from down there, or heaven forbid, a wounded bird could get to the food & water.
Be sure to affix wire to the bottom, on the kennel floor to keep predators, mice etc. from entering. I placed several inches of dirt on top of the wire bottom once it was affixed to the inside of the cage. Have fun:)

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Since your flock is used to using water bottles, they may save you having to change them more than once a day...a least once a day because you donā€™t mention your location, but unless the water bottles are not going to be in any sun and/or under 50 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the day, youā€™ll need to change the water bottles at least once and possibly again at nightfall, if you are making this a round the clock aviary. As for bathing dishes, Iā€™ve always found those plastic indoor/outdoor flower pot/planter bases to work out well.....the 10ā€-12ā€ one inch deep ones would work for your ā€˜tiels and the 24ā€ diameter by 2ā€-3ā€ deep ones should work for rest of your flock.....

You donā€™t mention how tall your aviary is going to be, but maybe a couple 4ā€™ tall tree stumps, set in concrete poured into a 5 gallon plastic bucket (youā€™d only need about 6ā€ of concrete in the buckets...maybe 3 suitable sized aluminum or stainless Z-brackets screwed to the stumps, to hold the bath bowls in place.....the 4ā€™ stumps would be high enough that your flock shouldnā€™t be afraid theyā€™d be too low to the ground & the Z-brackets would keep the bowls in place & keep them from tipping them over.....you need something to clamp them down, not screw through them.....

A couple of the online bird suppliers offer bird-safe hemp rope, probably 1ā€ diameter would work for all of your birds and maybe only two rope perches hung in a couple of corners...you donā€™t want the treated hemp rope you get from Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc., those treated ropes are dangerous for our feathered friends.....

Iā€™ll agree with copperarabian & MrsKay about the rest being natural branch perches.....

Good luck with your project.....

OP
Rrrma

Rrrma

Jul 22, 2010
USA
Parrots
see signature
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

This will just be a play area on nice days. It is 6' tall.
The birds that will use it are a vos eclectus, CAG, and 2 cockatiels. I don't plan to put them all in at the same time. I think the 2 large birds may be OK at the same time, they socialize some already, but the CAG always tries to go after the tiels if they are out together.

I figured I'd put fresh water in the bottles when I put them in for play. Since it won't be every day, the water will go stale and hot.

In the winter I may try to weather proof it so they can still get their exercise, our winters aren't usually very cold and don't last very long, but our summers are long and hot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts