Bumble Goffin

Goldenbaby

Sep 23, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo
Love Bird
OK maybe you guys can assist me a little bit, I know a few of you have a multiple Goffin's :)

My Male Goffin is only 3.5 years old, and what a bumble. Sheldon I swear is a born klutz (must be like me LOL) I recently got him a new cage, used his old perches for the new cage but ... he isn't so cleaver now with the bigger bar spacing etc. and we think this his how he is breaking his tail feathers. Because he isn't pulling them out, the avian vet ruled out all medical and ruled out picking because they usually start on chest, wings, and once naked start on tail but they yank, which Sheldon isn't doing. He is literally breaking them. I'm thinking its because he is such a bumble and falls a lot, aka misjudges before he leaps.

So my question is:

One: Is being a bumble just a baby thing? and when do you think he would grow out of this? I mean the poor thing falls off my shoulder occasionally.

Two: How can I make it more comfortable for him in his new cage that would prevent tail feathers from breaking? I've heard people say they use towels for older sick birds or they don't put perches near the top?
But birds climb and he does (he is a VERY active little guy), but when he misjudges, down he goes... An soon he will have a chicken butt, with no beautiful tail feathers, which right now, no biggy he hasn't started his molt yet, should be in the next month or two. But after his molt I'm going to try to keep him flighted (which my vet doesn't 100% agree with) and I want him to have his tail.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
By this age Sheldon should be mature from the viewpoint of dexterity. Did your vet check his blood with a full lab panel to rule out issues not visible during an exam!

I've found Goffins to be very nimble and adept within their environment, though some are careless with feathers when twisting and turning inside cages!

They are definitely individuals, so hopefully Sheldon is totally healthy but klutzy!

OP
Goldenbaby

Goldenbaby

Sep 23, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo
Love Bird
By this age Sheldon should be mature from the viewpoint of dexterity. Did your vet check his blood with a full lab panel to rule out issues not visible during an exam!

I've found Goffins to be very nimble and adept within their environment, though some are careless with feathers when twisting and turning inside cages!

They are definitely individuals, so hopefully Sheldon is totally healthy but klutzy!

We did the normal CBC panel and then we did the extended blood panel to check all his levels (liver, kidney functions, along with a bunch of other things - calcium etc) Completely healthy, the vet said that he was in great health and nothing out of the ordinary! He weighs in at 281 grams. So he isn't a chunk butt. Just seems to have 2 left feet... He has different size perches and I check his feet regularly to make sure there are no sores etc (kinda easy for a parrot that likes to flip on his back). I just didn't know if there was a better way to make it so when he does fall a bit more comfortable to prevent tail feathers from breaking. In his old cage we didn't seem to have this issue.

Other than the tail feathers breaking it doesn't phase him LOL. Goofy little guy! I am going to let him stay flighted this next molt (terror with wings) which I'm hoping helps him "glide" down, but that means, I will have to figure out how to harness train him. I heard the Aviator is the better harness our there???? An I'm hoping it comes with instructions.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
A "Bumbling" Goffin flying??? ummmm...errr...might be a bad idea! but that's just MHO!

Jim

Most Reactions