Cage covers

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I used rubber-backed curtain fabric for my cage covers (got it at a really good price and it's almost complete blackout). I can't imagine that blackout fabric would be dangerous in any way - after all, they use it for babies' rooms and babies eat everything. :)
Thank you. I don't think any of the birds I have right now are eating the covers I put on them...but you just never know when they will start.

My plan was to only use the black out material as lining for about 2/3 of the cage cover leaving more light and air to come in the lower 1/3. Am I spoiling my birdies too much? :D

You can NEVER spoil your birdies too much..lol:22: (Ok, I know that's not true, especially if you have a too, but just had to say it....:09:)

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
That is so good to know. It's clear I love my birds. I'm starting to feel like the crazy bird lady...but then again I've been known (and still am) as the crazy cat lady. :D

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I used black polar fleece for Kiwi's cover. Cheap and safe (his cage required almost 5 yards!). It may not 100% blackout full on daylight, but it certainly blocks out lights being on at night. Plus, once a bird has become used to being covered at night, they recognize it as the signal it's bedtime, even if some light comes in still. If you think about it, it's not pitch black at night in nature because of the moon and they sleep fine in the wild.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Zilla lives in the living room with me. I don't think she was ever covered before I got her, but she "asks" to be covered now. Right now I am using 2 dark colored flannel sheets and just "layer" them so it's 2 sheets thick. My queen size sheets are a bit small for her cage and leave about 6" above the seed guard uncovered, but she doesn't seem to mind.

I will be making her a cover after the Holidays are over. I am thinking about using a dark colored fleece, and since she isn't a chewer of fabric (at least not the fleece I made her "preening" toy out of, she hasn't touched it) I hope she won't destroy it.

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I was trying to use things that I had at the house...not sure why because I love to go and buy fabric. :D The one fabric is too thin and the other fabric is just too plain for me.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Everywhere around here has their fleece on sale right now. The fabric store I go to has it all like 50 and 60% off plus coupons for an additional 20% off your total including sale items. I figured I can get the 60" wide fleece I want for about $3.00 a yard or so if I buy it this weekend.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I don't think you're spoiling your birdies too much! I like to use blackout-type fabric to cover mine because we are night-owls and it's not fair to the birds when there's light on in the house. In fact, 4dugnlee's idea is a good one: cover with a sheet and put the blackout stuff on top if you're worried. If you're an experienced sewist, you could even line your covers with the sheeting when you make them. That way, everyone's safe and happy! :)

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I could do that! Hmmm, fleece on sale. Uh oh, I see grandma projects coming too. ;)

Most Reactions