Cage for 2 cockatiels

Luckycockatiel

Jun 26, 2018
Iā€™m looking into getting 2 cockatiels in a couple of weeks and I will take them out and play with them whenever I have free time but I wonā€™t do much of the care taking such as cleaning while away. My older sister is willing to clean after while Iā€™m at school but I need a nice size cage to keep my 2 birds entertained until Iā€™m home. Iā€™m willing to spend around 90 usd

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
check craigslist or your local facebook marketplace/groups if you are in the US. Here in WY there's always cages flooded on craigslist, and you can negotiate a fantastic price cause they are in supply and little demand. I got a huge cage and a stand with a big wood perch on craigslist for like $125 USD

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
A Cage that is 3 feet long, 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep with appropriate bar spacing should be a bare minimum, in my estimate.

You can also buy a cage that 1.5 feet long, wide and high for transporting your birds to a vet or for use when moving from one home to another or for quarantine or any back up purpose. :yellow1:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I have this one for my one cockatiel (getting a friend next month) and its HUGE! It is $200 shipped and the biggest cage for the price I have ever seen. See my thread on it here. I really can't say enough good things about this cage.

614UCGkwrnL.jpg

Last edited:

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
I have this one for my one cockatiel (getting a friend next month) and its HUGE! It is $200 shipped and the biggest cage for the price I have ever seen. See my thread on it here. I really can't say enough good things about this cage.

614UCGkwrnL.jpg

The space is marvellous indeed, but I would have preferred horizontal bars over vertical ones , because all parrot family birds love climbing around and just being goofy, which a vertical bar cage does not allow.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yes you are right about the vertical bars. It does make it a little tricky to climb around on, so you have to be creative. After a lot of varying perches, a ladder and a swing he is able to get all around the cage as most of the perches overlap so that he can climb from the bottom of the cage all the way to the top.

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
The cages referenced above seem like a good one, especially to not only have room and comfortable, but entertainment while you're away too!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Trust me, vertical bars are *NOT* an issue for parrots! I used to have budgies and they would grip onto the vertical bars, then "slip" down them, controlling their descent by how hard they gripped the bars.

I have my cockatiel in an HQ(?) flight cage (32x21) and she has no issues going up or down the bars!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"

614UCGkwrnL.jpg

I've been thinking about this cage/cages since you originally posted that you had bought them...As i recall, you can buy this in a single version and the double version, correct? Although for the price, why would you only buy the single version...

If you buy the double version of the cage, is it really 2 separate cages which have a panel you can remove? I wasn't sure how this worked, but I've been thinking about buying the double version, just not sure if i want to be able to separate the 2 sides or not, depends on who i want to put in it...but for the price, you can't beat it, and it's a nice, large flight-cage...thinking it would be awesome for Dylan, my Ringneck Dove, and possibly a little friend for him soon, as long as I can turn it into 2 cages if they don't like each other...lots of room for 2 Ringneck Doves, along with tons of perches, swings, and hanging toys, which he absolutely loves, even though everyone keeps telling me that "Doves don't need toys, Ellen. They can't chew on anything."...Tell Dylan that, go ahead, I dare ya!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels

614UCGkwrnL.jpg

I've been thinking about this cage/cages since you originally posted that you had bought them...As i recall, you can buy this in a single version and the double version, correct? Although for the price, why would you only buy the single version...

If you buy the double version of the cage, is it really 2 separate cages which have a panel you can remove? I wasn't sure how this worked, but I've been thinking about buying the double version, just not sure if i want to be able to separate the 2 sides or not, depends on who i want to put in it...but for the price, you can't beat it, and it's a nice, large flight-cage...thinking it would be awesome for Dylan, my Ringneck Dove, and possibly a little friend for him soon, as long as I can turn it into 2 cages if they don't like each other...lots of room for 2 Ringneck Doves, along with tons of perches, swings, and hanging toys, which he absolutely loves, even though everyone keeps telling me that "Doves don't need toys, Ellen. They can't chew on anything."...Tell Dylan that, go ahead, I dare ya!

Yes it does come in the single version for $114 I believe, so you do end up saving more if you get the double version. I thought it would be too big for my living room but it is longer horizontally and does not jut out into open space, it lines up against a wall very nicely.

The instructions are not good, but for two not-handy people it took two hours to put together. It comes in two huge boxes. It is basically one big cage with a panel in the middle so you can divide it into two cages. It can slide out but it can also bolt in place so there is no accidently sliding out and birds getting mixed together. I have sectioned and bolted off now until Boo's new companion arrives this month, but I am hoping in time to take out the divider panel and make one big cage.

I really can't express how pleased I am with this cage, it comes with a lot of budgie-size perches and grates, out of like 15 perches they give you I only use 2 of them, the rest are swings, ladders, branch and rope perches and toys, lots and lots of toys!

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I have the HQ versions (or at least one is HQ, other might be an off-brand look-a-like) which have 2 door instead of 1.

Currently have two, one for an ARN and one for a cockatiel. Might be looking at getting another for a small conure!

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
This thread is helpful for me, as I too am getting a newer cage for Baby. It's in the same or even a little more dimension than his current cage, an HQ dometop, so the only thing ''downsized'' would be not being on a stand, though I could buy one too. Nice to that vertical bars are not a problem, because this cage has them! He'll have lots of variety of perches!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"

614UCGkwrnL.jpg

Yes it does come in the single version for $114 I believe, so you do end up saving more if you get the double version. I thought it would be too big for my living room but it is longer horizontally and does not jut out into open space, it lines up against a wall very nicely.

The instructions are not good, but for two not-handy people it took two hours to put together. It comes in two huge boxes. It is basically one big cage with a panel in the middle so you can divide it into two cages. It can slide out but it can also bolt in place so there is no accidently sliding out and birds getting mixed together. I have sectioned and bolted off now until Boo's new companion arrives this month, but I am hoping in time to take out the divider panel and make one big cage.

I really can't express how pleased I am with this cage, it comes with a lot of budgie-size perches and grates, out of like 15 perches they give you I only use 2 of them, the rest are swings, ladders, branch and rope perches and toys, lots and lots of toys!

Thanks Itzjbean...yeah, I think I'm going to order one today too...the double-size, that's a no-brainer...It sounds like the huge flight-cage I have my budgies in, it too has a large panel that slides in and out, dividing into 2 cages if you want. It works well...

What is it with bird cages and horrible instructions (or no instructions at all, lol)? Kane's cage had only diagrams, lol...I'm handy, but getting some of those panels to fit together correctly can be a nightmare...Oh well, that's a good way to fill an evening :D Thanks for the help, I wouldn't have known about this cage otherwise! Can't beat it!

Most Reactions