Cage for a Senegal????

ryanpeddle85

Oct 25, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Male Senegal Caesar, Male Peach Face Lovebird Shemrock
Hey guys new to the forum just a quick question is the largest new vision model cages suitable for a Senegal? its 30" long x 14" wide x 36" High. I also have another cage 18" long x 18" wide x 30" high which would suit Caesar better?

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
The first sounds like a few inches off what my girl has, and it's plenty of room for her tow run around and play in.

OP
ryanpeddle85

ryanpeddle85

Oct 25, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
thanks a lot i figured the bigger the better. Just making sure it was wide enough. Iam in the market for a big powder coated play top cage just waiting for a good craigs list deal.

Last edited:
OP
ryanpeddle85

ryanpeddle85

Oct 25, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
these are the two cages if it helps any

Attachments

• 100_2274.jpg
    100_2274.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 8,062
  • July16th-007042.jpg
    July16th-007042.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 11,566

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
The first one looks okay, he'll be happy until you find a nice powder coated one!

Shade

Sep 27, 2011
Canada
Parrots
Piper - Peachface Lovebird;
Shade - Senegal Parrot;
Joey & Pixel - Red-bellied Parrots;
Petey & Zuri - Meyer's Parrots;
Léa - Cape Parrot
To be honest, I would be concerned about the bars of the Vision cage to be a little weak for the beak of a Senegal, and all those plastic bits would probably be easy to break for it. The 18" x 18" is a bit small; I had one like it for my Senegal when she was a baby and was getting over a leg injury but she did need something bigger when she was all healed up.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
For medium sized birds, within the 100-180 gram range, the A&E/HQ Flight cages aren't bad! They are 23" x 32" and 35" height? Plus a stand, which separates from the cage.

For larger cages and/or slightly larger birds (up to 400 grams or so?), I recommend the 32x23 playtop/dometop cages that are built as 'one piece'. You can take them apart, but the only removeable part should be the tray(s) and cage grate and/or playtop. The legs of the cage is part of the entire frame of the cage.

Think of the cage as what the bird will be spending at least half of his life in for several years, unless you upgrade! Once you put in perches, toys and dishes, it tends to get a little crowded... and the bird will be in this cage when he/she is sleeping, when no one is home and/or when no one has the time to safely supervise him!

When I think of bird cages, I try to picture myself in either a closet or a bedroom... and then try and think about the size of the room and what all I could put in it... I'd rather be in a large bedroom with a bed, dresser, computer, tv, maybe a minifridge to be lazy/enjoy at leisure, etc rather than stuck in a closet where I can't move around very well and there's hardly any room to put anything... and then to think about how many hours I'll be in this space for... well, a closet/small space doesn't sound very appealing!

Most Reactions