Cage Friendly Macaw

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013
I've heard that alot of macaws get cage defensive and won't let you touch them when they're near their cage. But then get them away from their cage and they're totally different.

My macaw is the complete opposite. I've only had him 3 weeks. When he goes into cuddly mood he will let me stroke him for hours and seems to crave it. But as soon as I get him to step up and go and sit on the couch with him he won't let me touch him. Or not alot. Then he'll fly back and then start crying for attention again. It's starting to get annoying as I'm willing to make a fuss of him as long as he wants. But whilst I'm sitting down on the comfort of the couch. Not standing up next to his cage for hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

SonnyMushy

Mar 3, 2013
Try to use positive re-enforcement when he is out of the cage. every time he allows you to touch him give him his favorite treat and never give it to him any other time other then training time. He might feel more secure in this cage allowing you to touch him. Most if nto all parrots love their home (cage) its like sleeping in your own bed.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If he's comfortable in and around his cage, pay attention to him in that area. Feed him treats, handle him, scritch him, etc.

It may help to sit a chair next to the cage to make this easier. Set it next to the cage, sit down, and handle your macaw. If he seems comfortable with this, the next few times you can move the cage 6 inches or so towards the couch. Sit down, relax, handle him, reward him, etc. Next time, do it again, but move the chair a little further away.

It may also help to put him back on his cage throughout the session, then pick him up again and handle him some more.

May not have to use a chair, but it's just the idea of being close to his cage and slowly moving away from it, and don't go any further than he is comfortable with. Once he gets comfortable with one spot and is fine there, move the spot just slightly.

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
I would try this: take your macaw out sit on the couch pet your bird for 15 seconds or so then treat then return to cage. 5 min. Later try it for 20 seconds. And continue to increase time. If the bird try's to go back before you take it back reduce the time and start again. I would also only cuddle out of the cage until you have a breakthrough. I surely would stand at the cage for hours. Sounds to me like the bird needs to learn o trust you and only feels comfortable in his cage.

OP
S

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013
Well I'm usually stroking him when he's ontop of his cage. He lets me stroke him on his perch next to the cage aswell. He's starting to get a bit better. I stood in the middle of the room with him and he let me stroke him. Well he actually let me do it on the couch for a little bit. And I also trained him to fly to me. Thanks for the ideas.

Most Reactions

Latest posts