cage help

herper

Jul 23, 2010
I have decided to get 1 of 3 types of bird, english budgie tiel, or parrotlet. parrotlet s in the lead. my readng has found most sources saying to get a longer cage instead of higher. after hours of surfing I found few longer cages, and they seemed lower n price then same size only vertical. can someone point me towards a decent moderately priced cage about 24-30 inches long that is ok for any of these birds? also at first I plan on having the wings clipped and wonder if I do s a cage 3-5 ft tall safe? seems like my house took less effort to find then a bird cage.

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Toulouse- Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure
My parrotlet had a cage too big for her, but she used every last square inch of it! It was about the size of my GCC's cage. hehe... I loved her to bits!! Parrotlets are great birds! I was in love with my p-let Divot every second I had her.

Provide your parrotlet with a MINIMUM 18”wide x 18”deep x 24” high cage. Make sure bar spacing is no more than 1/2” or 5/8" wide to ensure a head will not be caught . The larger the cage the happier your Parrotlet will be. There should be plenty room for your bird to stretch his wings and run around. Provide plenty of perches, including some natural wood perches, of varying size.

Heres some links to good cages!!
BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Kiki Kottage™ - Two Top Options!
BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Aloha Abode™ - 3 Top Options
Nina Play Top Bird Cage By Avian Adventures

Good luck :)

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Not sure if this is much help, but a bird the size of an english budgie or parolette should have a cage no smaller than 24x24x24 with 1/2 inch spacing, of course the bigger the better, just my opinion, but I think the width and depth would be more important than the height, even though small birds such as these when clipped still do fly fairly well, and will do so in their cage from perch to perch :)

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Good info above.

If you had to choose between a cage that was excessively tall and one that was excessively wide, I would recommend the wider one (as long as it was on a stand). Reason being that most birds will hang in the top half as they like the security of height. My Ekkie has a cage that extends to the floor and he rarely ventures down there. In fact I don't bother putting perches below half way, as he wont use them. It's really just a waste of space and could have been better used for storage. My tiel also only ventures down the bottom of the cage to eat and drink.

Also, parrots are magnificent climbers so as long as you provide a ladder, perch or rope for a bird to climb from one level to another, I can't imagine there being any problems with a taller cage.

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
English budgies are for showing and generally don't live as long as pet types. Why not go for a pet type? I have a taller rather than wider cage but it is huge! They use the bottom bit for foraging. It exercises their wing and chest muscles flying up like that.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Not to throw a monkey wrench into you fid selection, but have you ever looked into the Lineolated Parakeet, or Linnie?, great little birds with a fantastic personality, can talk, come in a variety of colors, and are for the most part a calm and quiet companions :):)

Most Reactions

Latest posts