Cagebound Questions

MimiBlue152

Oct 26, 2017
I've been reading up on cagebound birds and was wondering if anyone had any experience with how getting a new cage might help.
We are getting Flapjack a new cage because his is just a bit too small for a macaw. We also went with a different shape/design and without the play area on top as we are going to make him a separate play stand to spend most of his time. We are hoping that since this new cage is not familiar territory that it will help make him nicer when he is taken out or pet there.
Are we just dreaming? lol :blue1:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I just did a fairly extensive post on this one earlier today in another thread.

New cage = chance to start over. BUT consistent handling AWAY FROM HIS TERRITORY is the key.

Birds that don't get handled, don't stay tame.
Macaws that don't get handled, tend to get angry.
Birds that bite need to be handled MORE not less.

Territorial birds need to get worked with AWAY FROM their territory.
The territory ITSELF is the trigger. They are "defending the nest."
Away from the nest, there is nothing to defend, therefore the bad behaviors become less pronounced.

Sometimes you just have to go back to square one.
Reinforce basic step up, go down, no bite, and touch training.
Spend an hour or so with the bird on your lap.

If you're watching the game or something... put a towel down on your lap and just sit with the bird...

Macaws generally crave interaction. The more interaction they get, the more interactive they become...

Set a routine with this bird where he gets handled at a certain time every day, where he gets treats and scratches, etc. and handle him consistently that way, so he gets used to the idea.

OP
MimiBlue152

MimiBlue152

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you, we are doing that a lot. He is currently sitting with my husband getting his scratches. He likes to have his head scratched a lot and will let him play with his beak. He doesn't care to have his back or tail touched but my husband is working on it by petting a little further each time. :) I think he'll come around nicely.
I just really hope he has a hidden vocabulary. :):blue1:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
EXCELLENT advice from Birdman yet again. Unless he is a baby I wouldn't concentrate too much on touching along the back/tail...you do want them to get used to it but as a mature macaw this could stimulate them sexually. Head area is safe though!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I do touch training with the tail, just because macs tend to be defensive about their tails. They turn and "let you have it" if they aren't trained to accept it.

That "GET THAT THING OUT OF MY HOUSE!" B&G macaw had bitten his owners face, because a stranger brushed up against his tail when he was on the guy's shoulder. Easiest rehab ever! Basic touch training for a week... and a few games of pass the birdie, and the bird was as docile as they come.

My daughter and I preen tails.

Are you familiar with the "two perch" method of touch training? Using a pair of objects and just gently running them down the front of the bird, and over the back of the bird, until the bird gradually learns to accept touching. Then, gradually (over time) working your hand up the perch, until the bird is getting scratched with your fingers and doesn't even realize it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts