Cages outside

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
2 caiques are better than one I have been told. Nothing like seeing a bird give its freind a kick in the face or a dropkick in the chest,

And there we have it. Your true colours revealed.

Admin : I object to this users attitude to living creatures. Probably the RSPCA does as well

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
I think you misunderstood the point I was making. If you can't commit like that you really shouldn't bring another bird into your family at all. Just because a bird is more independent doesn't mean you don't need to pamper it and make it a part of your family. My point was that the way to create a happy, nonaggressive bird is with attention and training...not seclusion. Caiques really super are not a good fit for your lifestyle no matter how much you are trying to make it work. Caiques need more commitment, training, and constant supervision than most other species. Hopefully some of our caique owners can chime in and offer their firsthand experience for you. You have to commit and pamper and love to get a well-socialized bird that doesn't bite. I don't know a single bird owner who would say otherwise.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
2 caiques are better than one I have been told. Nothing like seeing a bird give its freind a kick in the face or a dropkick in the chest,

And there we have it. Your true colours revealed.

Admin : I object to this users attitude to living creatures. Probably the RSPCA does as well
While I can understand why the comment made by the OP would bother you, there is nothing there to indicate that it was anything other than a joke.

You may personally deem it in poor taste, but it doesn't cross a line that would necessitate either Mod or Admin intervention.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I can't commit like that, I admire your commitment and being there all the time for your bird but if people are not careful and they cant commit then we have a screaming plucking bird. Some people like more of a casual thing, Bandespresso raised some good points above about training and routine work to not make the bird so dependent. No human can replace a birds partner, it is impossible to. That is one of the reasons we have nasty bites, the bird is expecting something or trying to tell us something. The bird has been pampered, loved for years and all of a sudden the bird gives a chomp and digs its beak one inch deep somewhere on our skin. It wouldn't do that to its bird partner now would it?
I didn't know until I actually got parrots that they were such lovers and affectionate creatures, I wish humans could love and commit like that. I think I speak in general for us males when I say this that woman are better partners for parrots. I can't pinpoint why but maybe its a mother thing maybe woman can commit better maybe woman are just better lovers or can return love better. Men are more hunters and gatherers by instinct.

Many MANY birds are kept singly. A human should NEVER attempt to be the bird's 'partner'. :rolleyes: And yes, wild birds DO inflict bites on their partners, quite nasty ones, in fact.

I can tell you right now that I know of numerous 'male' parronts who would probably be highly offended by the second part I bolded out. :54:

I object to it, too! Very much so. :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I think I speak in general for us males when I say this that woman are better partners for parrots. I can't pinpoint why but maybe its a mother thing maybe woman can commit better maybe woman are just better lovers or can return love better. Men are more hunters and gatherers by instinct.

As a fellow male and enthusiastic parront, I definitely cannot cosign with you on this. I really don't think that the capacity for love of a parrot is at all dependent upon gender. I honestly believe that some people are "parrot people", and some just aren't.

Aside from information gathering, I think this is one if the biggest reasons for a forum like this. To be able to discuss our parrots with like-minded people who won't roll their eyes at our enthusiasm. Who will understand the love we have for our birds.

You've been asking about outdoor caging and seem a bit thrown off by the responses, but what I think you don't realize is that everyone is actually reacting more to your mindset toward parrots than anything else. And are answering out of concern for your future birds.

You seem to want a bird that you can observe rather than one with which you might interact. And the impression given by your posts is that daily interaction with a parrot is just not your thing. In short, that you're not really a parrot person. No crime in that, but if so you'd likely be better served getting a bird that is actually considered an aviary bird. One that might require less interaction than a caique.

OP
C

ceegull

Nov 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Sun conure and a Green cheek conure
Is a caique THE most high maintanence and care pet bird there is? I realise now there is no in between with a caique. I am not trying to be offensive - just discussing.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
All birds 'can' be high maintenance. Depends on the individual, how they were raised and how they were socialized.

What do you mean there is 'no in between' with Caiques? :confused:

My macaws are what I consider high maintenance. Not because they are 'needy', but because they keep me fit. :D

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
As Wendy said, depending on the individual bird, any bird can potentially be "high maintenance". But most parrots need a good amount of interaction and out of cage time for their own mental health.

Now, you seem to be wondering if parrots can achieve happiness with minimal to no human interaction.

Perhaps.

Given a sufficiently large aviary (big enough for actual flight, not glorified hops with an obligatory flap of their wings) and a few of their own kind, I think so.

Don't mistake me, there are some who have rescued long time breeders who are feral seemingly beyond the point of no return. These parronts seek to make these birds as happy as possible with minimal contact. And often absent an aviary setting. That, however, is a scenario born of necessity.

I just wouldn't personally set a parrot up from the beginning to become feral. There are, however, birds that are not really suited to be pets and do better in aviary type situations with less human contact. I think looking into those would be your best bet.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
It really does sound like you would do better with an aviary. You would not be needed for the birds companionship or mental stimulation, and the bird would not be miserable sting alone in a cage all day. Have you looked into finches? They come in a lot of different and truely beautiful colors.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If you don't think you can put up with mischief, a caique might not be for you. Caiques are adorable clowns who need a whole lot of attention! All they want to do is play play play so keeping them outside without integration would be extremely detrimental to their wellbeing. Caiques also have a serious case of Big Bird Syndrome so they don't usually do well with any other species....they also play too hard for most non-caique bird buddies. Why is it that you want a caique?

There are a lot of wonderful bird species that do well in an aviary setting that you should consider if you want some outside birds :).

I SOOOO AGREE WITH THE ABOVE.

Why are you getting a super interactive bird, if you are not wanting to bond with it?!

Why are you getting a bird that might be attacky with your existing birds?

Why get another bird at all if this is the case?

What's the point of having a bird that's caged 24/7 doing life in solitary?

The bird's probably gonna be unhappy, and he's probably gonna make everyone else unhappy because he's unhappy.

OP
C

ceegull

Nov 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
What I mean with 'no in between' with caiques is when it comes to being with a caique it can't be just a small amount of interaction, as mentioned by bandespresso above "You have to commit and pamper and love to get a well-socialized bird that doesn't bite. I don't know a single bird owner who would say otherwise". I read somewhere they can turn to the wild side too without proper care.

Those are good questions birdman, not everyone gets a pet bird to bond with it but I wish that before a parrot is given the parrot keeper would tell them the requirements are not just food, water and shelter that bonding is a requirement or we will not give this bird to you as a pet.As Anansi said I am not a parrot person which I beleive he meant I will not make a good parront at all, good - straight up - it cant be done. Doesn't mean we don't love parrots because I do. I am not getting a bird please don't think I am, I came here for info, I went through all the pages in the caique section (not thoroughly) to gather info. This reminds me of an article I read that the general public buy goldfish to put it in a bowl and let it live its life out. Not that simple, they grow and they can grow big, they are the messiest fish so you need a big aquarium, filter and constant water changes.

Lets use my situation for education sake so that I can learn and educate others and people that view can see this aswell. Forget everything I have posted prior to this. I am a fresh 'customer'.

-I have 2 conures in one end of the house who are out of the cage when we are home.

-I want to have a caique in the other end of the house (living room). All birds should be out, I dont like them caged - close supervision is a must but I may get distracted and the caique does his thing (I read they can stalk or seek out its target too) as we all know they are pitbull like in that regard so this seems a no no because at the blink of an eye a bird may do something. Caiques have the notorious other species bird aggressiveness but I think all birds can do this.

-To counter this we have seperate out of cage time (interaction time) which there may be a problem with, how much out of cage time is enough? I read somewhere half hour is enough, parrot wizard in his video and other forums say 'quality over quantity' and don't give any specifics regarding time.

-Coming back to the original question, everyone said no but I will put it abit differently, can I or does anyone keep there bird/s outside AND interact with them (out of cage time). Or can we keep 2 (tame caiques of course and they can keep each other company) together outside under a patio protected from whatever harm may cause them AND interact with them (out of cage time) or will they go wildish? The reason I came here with this question was because I had to make weekly trips to the vet because the GCC's foot was curling up, wasn't broken- nerve damage, sprain? no one knows, it miracoulusly came good in 4 weeks, I give all thanks to the Creator for it, the vet was very surprised too, anyways everytime I went I met people who kept their pets outside under some shelter.
1 was an african grey in a aviary setting, it seemed tame and healthy. Another was 2 eclectus' and a quaker again under shelter, health seemed ok. And another keeps a quaker, galah and a cockatiel outside in single cages too, they are tame and seem healthy. My next door neighbour keeps a single cockatiel under his patio in a small cage, it chirps all day long (not alot though) and seems okay, is it happy? who knows but it has been healthy since he has had it and he has had it for years. Now I was querying about keeping a tame caique or caiques outside but obviously it isnt done.

Now HYPOTHETICALLY, remember for education and case study purposes - would you-any of you- let me adopt that caique or purchase that caique that is at your premises?
Don't worry I am not going out to get a bird based on your answers, and please dont sell me those aviary finches - I am not interested (JK). Or those budgies.

Last edited:

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
No, I would not allow you to adopt or purchase my hypothetical caique as a home ornament or "gimme" impulse purchase. No, I would not let that bird go to someone who wants to keep it outside and seems to have more regard for his own desires than the needs of the bird. There are finches and other species that do not seek human companionship and could live outside happily in a relatively small aviary. Caiques and other parrots however should be indoor pets or aviary birds with others of their own species and plenty of space and enrichment. You do not seem like someone who has the bird's best interest at heart and we are not talking about a cute inanimate toy here. Your posts are red flags to me and yes, I am being very blunt, but we are talking about animals that regularly get purchased for the wrong reasons and end up neglected. Why not focus on building a relationship with your conures instead of seeking out another parrot with no intention of bonding with or training it?

OP
C

ceegull

Nov 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Like I said no one is getting a bird...I am here to prevent this stuff from happening why cant you understand that.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Okay. Educational purposes. Let me see if I can touch upon some of your queries.

Is it possible to keep parrots, including caiques, in an aviary setting while keeping them happy, tame and healthy? Conditionally, yes.

Why conditionally? Because there are a few factors that come into play.

1) Environment. The weather should be in the range of what is generally acceptable for a parrot. Temps in the high 90's or below 50°F are not really ideal for the average parrot. (And before someone writes in about videos seen of macaws flying about in frigid, snow covered regions, yes, I saw those too. Lol! But those are birds acclimated gradually to such conditions. We're talking average, here.)

2) Surrounding wildlife is a consideration as well. But that can be accounted for with enough diligence.

3) Dedication to and love for the parrots in question by their owner. Fact is, birds left without human interaction do not remain tame. And birds that spend more time outside and segregated from the human-centric world within people's homes will likely require even more interaction from their parronts to remain tame.

4) Quality of the enclosure. Some metals are toxic to birds and will kill them in short order. And rust is also a no-no. Bird safe stainless steel is needed. Also, the enclosure should be constructed with the type of parrot in mind. Bar spacing that works for an eclectus, for instance, would be wholly inadequate for a cockatiel. And bars strong enough to withstand a pionus might be ground to metallic splinters by a macaw.

5) Avian companionship. Without the constant connection to human family provided inside, I think avian companionship would be vital for the happiness and mental wellbeing of your hypothetical parrots.

If these issues of environment, surrounding wildlife, dedication of the parront, quality of the enclosure and avian companionship are all properly considered and adequately addressed, I do think that parrots might live a happy and healthy life in an outside aviary. I think they might actually thrive.

And as for your question about the hypothetical caique, no, I wouldn't let you adopt or buy him/her. As has been established, you are not a "bird person". So selling you our hypothetical caique wouldn't be fair to either him/her or you.

Hey, not all animals work for everyone. I know I'm not a hamster person. I can appreciate their cuteness, and would enjoy petting one from time to time, but owning one just wouldn't be for me. And that's okay. I don't have to be a hamster person...

...and you don't have to be a parrot person. It's all good. Know what I mean?

Btw, I'm curious. Is your wife a parrot person? I know you mentioned that she has two (sun?) conures.

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
I have two caique babies in the nest right now, and another nestful of eggs to hatch 2nd week Dec.

There is a shortlist of people to whom I would sell a baby
There is an even shorter list of people ( a couple on this board) to whom I would GIVE a baby, knowing it would be loved and cared for unconditionally.

You wouldnt make either list

Last edited:
OP
C

ceegull

Nov 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Yes my wife is a parrot person, we differ alot, I have told her and have given up now that you are not supposed to kiss parrots, she still does. I tell her not to put parrots on her shoulder, she always does. The parrots fight over her as in there is a little push and shove between them and a little screaming sometimes. Thanks Anansi you told me like a friend would that I am not a parrot person, made me realise something and put a brake on the caique I had on 'order'. Thats why I came here and for the other people that reacted it only made me think differently. Irishj my situation may change one day and maybe then you might like to give me one of those cuties? I won't have a caique but I will keep checking the forums to see how they grow and some of the experiences people have here. edit. Irish are you in Australia?

Most Reactions

Latest posts