Caique first impression- left crying!!

Skye2017

Jan 26, 2017
Warburg, TN
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
So I own an Umbrella Cockatoo. I heard of a Caique needing a home and thought I would go meet the little guy who was 7 years old. The lady told me he was nice and hadn't bitten anyone in years. I have never been around a Caique.

I went to see him today, his owner took him out of the cage. I reached for him to come to me and he immediately started biting my hand and wouldn't let go!! He bit till it bled and would have continued but I set him on his perch!!

The owner said anybody could come in the house (friends) and pick him right up!! And they hadn't seen him bite anyone in years! What would be the deal?? Are Caiques known to bite? I've never been bitten so hard in my life!! I left crying and bleeding! Can anyone explain why he would do this??

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I don't know how great the parrot sense of smell is but could he have smelled another bird on you and gotten territorial?

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
Green-cheek conure, Quaker parakeet
@Owlet: your guess makes sense for mammals but not for parrots. Parrots (and most birds except vultures, actually) have a very poor sense of smell. If you can't smell it they can't smell it.

My guess would be that the owner was nervous meeting someone off Craigslist and he picked up on her body language and got nervous around you. It would be a very different situation than being around her friends, where her body language would be much more relaxed. As a secondary guess, my greencheek will not step up without biting unless you talk to him first, and you mentioned you went right for him, and both my Senegal and the one I'm bird-sitting will not step up unless you tell them to step up, though they also don't show their refusal through biting. Maybe her friends coo at him a bit before picking him up and that makes the difference?

OP
S

Skye2017

Jan 26, 2017
Warburg, TN
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
Well I had been told a bird could smell 200 x better than humans!!! So I agreed that maybe he did smell my other bird!

More perplexing information is that he bit me a few times and my daughter once! She's 18 if that matters. And it was a male and female owners so I didn't feel their apprehension. And after I left she ended up letting someone else take the bird!! And I ask did he bite them and she said " no, not at all! That he was rubbing all over them like he had known them forever!"
Now this is very strange!!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I think all parrots have a sense of what and who they like and who they dont, and its vitually impossible to figure out in advance. Example, AmyMyBlueFront's Jim came over last year with Amy. I usally get along great with most amazons. ANd Jim assured me Amy was friendly. Yet when I offered to pick her up, she nailed me, pretty good, upper and lover beaks drawing a good amount of blood. Not her fault, not Jims either, more likely mine, as i did not read some bit of her body language. So you can never tell when you meet a strange parrot. PS Caiques are know for when they bite they hang on and even grind their beaks back and forth , sawing in there. Dont let that discourage you if your looking for one though, I've met a couple and they were ***** cats, begging fro scratches.

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
Parrots certainly cannot smell 200 times as well as humans. Here's a summary of investigation into smell based on the size of the olefactory centers of the brain, and here's one noting that the kakapo has more than half again the number of olefactory receptors that humans do, but the kakapo is ... not exactly typical of parrots. If you google "parrot sense of smell" you can find a lot of people claiming that parrots smell well, but aside from the kakapo I cannot find anyone backing this up with empirical evidence. The kakapos's abilities might have people generalizing it to all parrots, but it's not clear to me where the "200 times better" figure is coming from.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Parrots certainly cannot smell 200 times as well as humans. Here's a summary of investigation into smell based on the size of the olefactory centers of the brain, and here's one noting that the kakapo has more than half again the number of olefactory receptors that humans do, but the kakapo is ... not exactly typical of parrots. If you google "parrot sense of smell" you can find a lot of people claiming that parrots smell well, but aside from the kakapo I cannot find anyone backing this up with empirical evidence. The kakapos's abilities might have people generalizing it to all parrots, but it's not clear to me where the "200 times better" figure is coming from.

Well stated!

Parrots are first and foremost designed to maximize flight. Reducing weight by shedding all by the most important support systems is a reality for their ability to fly. So, everything that does not support flight is minimized. And that means their ability to have heightened abilities to smell and taste are forfeit to enhance vision and neural speed.

And, as my Good Friend Wrench (Al) pointed out, when they bite they hold on and twist!

I have been around Parrots for a very long time. I never pick-up a Parrot unless I have taken the time to properly introduce myself and also taken the time to pick-up on the body language of the Parrot. I am also a firm believer that a guess should never pick-up a Parrot!!! After the introductions and evaluation, then have the owner pick-up the Parrot and you should offer your sleeve covered arm for the Parrot to step from the owner to you.

Create this as a rule and you will greatly 'limit' being bitten!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well I had been told a bird could smell 200 x better than humans!!! So I agreed that maybe he did smell my other bird!

More perplexing information is that he bit me a few times and my daughter once! She's 18 if that matters. And it was a male and female owners so I didn't feel their apprehension. And after I left she ended up letting someone else take the bird!! And I ask did he bite them and she said " no, not at all! That he was rubbing all over them like he had known them forever!"
Now this is very strange!!!

Never compare our experience with a specific Parrot and owner combination to another guest! They never or so rarely tell the truth. Learn from above regarding introduction and being watchful and you will greatly eliminate your getting bitten. Always take the responsibility of assuring your safety and the Parrots and life will be happier.

People how are called 'your name the Pet' Whisperers - never rush to engage an animal they always spend the time to watch and understand before they step into the danger zone. Their words not mine.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels

Well stated!

Parrots are first and foremost designed to maximize flight. Reducing weight by shedding all by the most important support systems is a reality for their ability to fly. So, everything that does not support flight is minimized. And that means their ability to have heightened abilities to smell and taste are forfeit to enhance vision and neural speed.

And, as my Good Friend Wrench (Al) pointed out, when they bite they hold on and twist!

I have been around Parrots for a very long time. I never pick-up a Parrot unless I have taken the time to properly introduce myself and also taken the time to pick-up on the body language of the Parrot. I am also a firm believer that a guess should never pick-up a Parrot!!! After the introductions and evaluation, then have the owner pick-up the Parrot and you should offer your sleeve covered arm for the Parrot to step from the owner to you.

Create this as a rule and you will greatly 'limit' being bitten!

Yes to this! I am also a firm believer in what I bolded here, allowing the bird to see me, know my intentions and introducing myself first to it. The way I see it, you wouldn't just jump right onto a horse's back for a ride without saying hello, letting it see you, petting it, offering it a treat perhaps. Birds are not like dogs or cats, most need time to get to know you first.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I pretty much assume a parrot I've never met will bite lol. I accept it and if I do get bit I just wait for him/her to let go and retreat slowly. Once accepted, the bite doesn't bother too much. I don't mind having bird bite marks lol.

He was just nervous. Maybe you were too?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I have had limited interaction with Caique's but mine were excellent.
I went to my local ALLPETS,with Amy in tow,and they had an open area with 3 or 4 Caique's. One particular one saw me and did his little hophophop to me ( they were also youngsters) and when I put my hand down,palm up,he hopped right onto my hand,started rubbing his face all over my palm,and begged for skritches,all the while Amy was on my shoulder watching and yelling in 'zon lingo...I think she wanted me to bring him home as her new buddy :rolleyes:

Jim

promethuschow

Mar 17, 2017
Queens, NYC
Parrots
CAG, GCC, Mynha
As all pointed out before me, I just wouldn't walk to the bird and say "hey" step up. I would have watched the bird, try to understand the body language at the same time had some chat with it and then say come on birdy, do you wanna step up. I always ask my CAG and GCC do they wanna step up and out from the cage or they are happy to play in their cage :). Again my condolence to your sore hand.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I guess it depends on the disposition of the birdie too. I am blessed with BB. I can open his front door,but my hand in the forefinger extended and just say "c'mon BB...step up"...he'll give me a couple "c'mons" and jump right on to my finger.

My son was visiting about a month ago..he never met BB,and when he saw me put my hand in Beebs house and he jumped right on my finger,my son was kind of amazed. "wow dad,he's real friendly huh?"
I said to James,"take your cap off,and put out your fingers", he did and I moved my hand closer to his..I said to James "now just say "c'mon BB step up" and fluff boy jumped onto his hand,immediately ran up his arm to his shoulder,and proceeded on saying "BB a good boy..BB a good boy" right in James' ear lol..

James isn't really a bird person :eek:,but if he would visit more often, I have no doubts that BB would change his mind:)

Like I said..I think it has ALOT to do with the birdies disposition.

Jim

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
Parrot's have preferences, just like humans do. For example I went back to the pet store from where I got my bird from and met another baby alexandrine there that willingly came to me, stepped up and allowed petting. A girl next to me tried to take her off my arm but the bird started moving away and getting defensive. Believe it or not that bird showed me more affection than my current bird of 5 months for whom I do everything for! I now strongly believe in the saying "let the bird choose you"

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
could just be that the bird didn't sleep well the night before and was cranky.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'd honestly be more prone to think that the owner isn't being completely honest with you. This is based on my numerous experiences working with people surrendering birds to the rescue I volunteer at, plus many visits I've made to see a bird I found for rehoming on Craigslist and I spoke to the owner about the bird. They always say wonderful things and might throw in a negative or two, but when I get there the bird is completely bald or obviously sick, or they are the meanest bird I've ever seen. I actually went to see a CAG once that was being rehomed by his original owners, they had gotten him as a baby and he was now 7 years old, and they had no time for him now because they got pregnant. This couple was in their early 30's and so was I, so we hit it off on the phone. I drove 6 hours with my truck, planning on bringing him and his cages home. I got there and immediately I knew that this poor CAG had not been taken out of his cage in years, let alone handled. He bit both of his owners HARD and then jumped up on my arm for a while and sat quietly for a few minutes, then took a chunk out of my ear, bit the woman again, and ran back to his cage screaming and hissing. He was terrified to be out of his cage and they forced him to make what they had said believable.

So it's quite possible that this bird just wasn't a real friendly bird, you never know. It could have been a million things. The important thing is that you don't take it personally.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I'd honestly be more prone to think that the owner isn't being completely honest with you. This is based on my numerous experiences working with people surrendering birds to the rescue I volunteer at, plus many visits I've made to see a bird I found for rehoming on Craigslist and I spoke to the owner about the bird. They always say wonderful things and might throw in a negative or two, but when I get there the bird is completely bald or obviously sick, or they are the meanest bird I've ever seen. I actually went to see a CAG once that was being rehomed by his original owners, they had gotten him as a baby and he was now 7 years old, and they had no time for him now because they got pregnant. This couple was in their early 30's and so was I, so we hit it off on the phone. I drove 6 hours with my truck, planning on bringing him and his cages home. I got there and immediately I knew that this poor CAG had not been taken out of his cage in years, let alone handled. He bit both of his owners HARD and then jumped up on my arm for a while and sat quietly for a few minutes, then took a chunk out of my ear, bit the woman again, and ran back to his cage screaming and hissing. He was terrified to be out of his cage and they forced him to make what they had said believable.

So it's quite possible that this bird just wasn't a real friendly bird, you never know. It could have been a million things. The important thing is that you don't take it personally.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

and you didn't rescue him?!

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
and you didn't rescue him?!
Rescuing birds with serious emotional issues is a lot of work. I know I don't have the energy or emotional fortitude for it, at least not at this point in my life.

But even if I did, I probably wouldn't want to give money to the people who had messed up the poor bird (maybe the cost of the cage at most) and when people rehome on Craigslist they're usually trying to get at least some of their "investment" back.

rescuebird

Apr 2, 2017
Indiana
Parrots
Amazon (fostered)
When meeting an animal for the first time, whether bird, horse, rabbit, dog, or whatever, it's important to know they generally won't assume your motives are to their benefit immediately and to realize their caution doesn't reflect on you.

Remember that focused attention from a stranger generally indicates predation or territorial threat among animals.

Begin by seeming indifference to the animal as you stand nearby and talk to the humans. Give the animal time to look you over without being stared at. Wait for signs of interest from the pet before quietly and calmly beginning a verbal interaction. Avoid prolonged eye contact. Let the animal set the pace any physical interaction. Watch body language carefully but do not stare. Don't allow the impatience of others rush the process.

I have found over the years that a semblance of indifference toward an animal fuels a quicker, more relaxed, calmer, and friendlier interest on their part than any approach I can make.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I had a similar situation when I met a beautiful Indian Ringneck not long ago. The owner said she was extremely friendly to everyone never bit, never made a noise and all around a great pet but was selling because his wife had allergies.

The second I put my hand in the cage as he said she began screaming, flew into the cage wall then came at my hand. I ended up having to get 3 stitches because of her.

Unfortunately many people who sell an animal lie about it because they don't want it. As such from now on I will only get birds from breeders, rescues (if it's the right bird for me) and if someone is selling a clutch of babies their birds had.

Always a risk buying online

Most Reactions

Latest posts