Caiques and bedtime

RissaLynn

Sep 13, 2014
Connecticut
Parrots
Ziki the White Bellied Caique
Okay,so I have a one year old male caique and he has always been very good about using his tent when he goes to bed.Just over the past month he just stopped using his house and just sleeps clung to the corner of his cage.
Now,he is a healthy bird and that isn't something that alarms me about his health,but I would like to know,is there a way to really get him to use it again,or any reasons he may be not using his house?Does your caique sleep a tent?

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
Hi!

I can't give you a whole lot of direct experience with this, but it sounds like you don't have anything to worry about. I had a tent for Eliza for awhile. Some nights she'd use it, other nights she wouldn't. The only reason I took it out of her cage was that I had read where a darkened space brings out their brooding instincts. (And I only did the research after she laid an egg in her tent one night!)

Again, I don't think there's an issue. Just the bird's personal preference. I bought a nice perch I put in the back of Henry's cage where I thought it would be perfect for sleeping. Instead, he prefers what appears to be the most uncomfortable perch in the cage. Once he settles in, it would probably take dynamite to get him off it.

Hope that helps!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I believe dskidd said it all :) Maybe something to do with the seasons changing?

ShaunaR

Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pixie the White Bellied Caique
I had the same experience with Pixie. She just seemed to decide she didn't want to use the tent I had for her. I tried moving it and she still chose a perch at the very top of the cage. What I did was make her a large fleece hammock that tied to the roof and one corner of the cage much like one that you can buy for rodents. No sewing required! I just made sure the knots were tight and the hammock as snug against the corner of the cage as I could to prevent her from getting caught between the material and the bars. You can see my post in the "cages" section. I didn't mind that she decided against the tent but I wanted to give her the option of resting her feet at night because she is missing one toe. Otherwise I do believe I needed her to have it more than she actually did!

picopowerr

Sep 24, 2014
Netherlands
Parrots
White bellied Caique
Most of the time my caique sleeps in his tent. But when I to visit my mom he had to live in a different cage and the first few days he didn't sleep in it, probably because it was a new situation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts