calcium and vitamins deficiency

djven

Oct 24, 2012
hello, someone gave me a male cockatiel he didn't want any more, it was in a bad situation so i took it. He's 4 years old. I took it to the vet and he told me that he suffer from calcium and vitamins deficiency and that he needs to put on weight.. I have never had a problem like this, 6 years now..
He gave me some vitamins to give him.
Any opinions? I know nothing about calcium and vitamin deficiency, i just google it.. Did you ever had something like that?:grey:

thank you:)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's caused by a poor diet lacking in essential nutrients. Did the vet give you any diet plans?

A great way to increase the diet is to introduce pellets into the diet, however cockatiels really shouldn't be eating more than 50% of their total diet as pellets.

A simple way to improve the diet is to feed sprouted seeds over dry seeds. Sprouted seeds are pact full of nutrition and you can buy sprout mixes or create your own!

Something that may be trickier is to provide fresh and cooked foods. Ideally, the fresh/cooked foods should consist of about 30% *healthy* grains (cooked or sprouted), 15% *healthy* legumes (cooked or sprouted), 45% vegetables (dark greens, reds, yellows, oranges, etc) and 10% fruits (berries & exotic fruits are great!). Toss in the occasional cooked egg.

The bigger variety using healthy foods, the better!

Most Reactions