Camping in the dessert. Should I bring Puck?

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'm going on a super awesome camping trip in the dessert at the end of the month. I'm trying to decide whether to take Puck or not. It could be potentially awesome, but we would be far away from civilization, and we are carpooling, so getting to an emergency vet would be harder than usual, if it came up. It will be dry, and probably hot during the daytime (cold at night, but he can cuddle up in my clothes if he wants). Last year it was very windy, but I don't know if it will be windy this time.

Has anybody taken their birds camping, especially in the dessert? Given the dry environment, I would assume that germs might be less of an issue than in a moist environment. Puck LOVES the outdoors, and I think he would love to go camping. Should I wait to try it with him until we can do it a bit closer to civilization?

Also, I'm considering boarding him while I'm gone, rather than leaving him with my mom this time. (Read my last post, regarding the doves. I think she'd take better care of him, especially since it's been fine in the past, but I'm still concerned.) The parrot rescue near me seems pretty nice, and they charge $20 a day for boarding.

What do you guys think?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
What sort of temperatures are we talking here? I presume youd be sleeping in tents or something? :)

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
I'm considering taking my 2 dogs and parrot camping this year too. Just in the woods and towards the end of April. We have a 3 room tent so my hubby and I, the dogs , and our bird will each have out own rooms. I want her to be able to go out and explore with us instead of never really going any where except flea markets and the store.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
There are lots of little and big critters living in a outdoors. How would you protect your bird from being injured?

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
How used is Puck to outings, daytrips, overnight trips and camping? I would suggest that he build up to something like this gradually, rather than jump in the deep end.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Maybe a stupid concern, but he may be attractive to snakes and other predators who possibly haven't had a meal in awhile.

But, if you think that will be ok and the temperatures will be ok, I don't see anything wrong with it. I know though my birds don't like to be hot. You would think they would since they come from hot climates, but they don't. When the AC died a couple of years ago one of them was actually panting until the new one got up to speed.

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
I had a bad expierence with my dog last year when we went camping. He got way too overheated and almost died, partly because hes a boxer and they have terrible respiratory systems, and partly because he wasnt used to it. So I wont be taking my pets with me next time.
We do a lot of hiking and exploring that can get pretty dangerous, I wouldnt be able to take a bird with me while hiking. I would worry about him being un-safe while I was away from my tent.
The breeder I'm buying my CAG from charges $6.00 per day, and the vet charges 17.00 per day for a 70lb dog. I dont know where you are, but $20 bucks a day seems pretty steep to me, but I could be wrong and I suppose it doesnt matter if they take care of your baby.

Most Reactions